• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom iPad/iPhone Device overheats & brightness dims

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found anything related to this in online searches, so i thought i would ask Lightroom users.

I have Lightroom mobile installed on my iPhone 7 and when i use it, the phone gets very hot. If the ambient temp is 90 or better (which happens quite often here in Florida), the phone will overheat and shut down after a while. I used it without that happening yesterday (ambient temps around 75), but the phone was still quite hot. I have a pretty thin Spigen case on the phone, and it doesn't get hot with anything other apps.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Steve

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Converting this to a bug just to be clear that we do acknowledge the reports here and have a ticket logged for the engineers to investigate.

Please share specific steps used when this occurs.

--- 

February 5, 2024 Update
[WORKAROUND]

Although it's not ideal, it may help if you enable ‘battery saver’ mode, which throttles the GPU then Lightroom performs much more slowly BUT the overheating/screen dimming issue no longer occurs.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Updating Status to Investigating

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 165 Replies 165
165 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yup im still facing the same issue with a brand new apple 12 pro max 😢 They're definitely the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add to this. I just bought the iPad Pro to edit using Lightroom mobile on the go when I'm travelling and I was editing on the app noticed the iPad getting hot and then that caused the screen to dim so dark that I could no longer edit and this kept happening every 5 minutes or so. Long story short I can't edit using the mobile app if I can't have the screen properly lit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ADOBE! I really LOVE lightroom but this is such a show-stopper. It's now been four years since this thread started and the problem is worse than ever. I just sat in Santa Barbara experiencing it constantly in 75 degree temps. You claim you can't reporduce? I dont believe you. I live in the Bay Area and would be happy to come down to your San Jose office and sit outside with you for 30min to show you how bad this is (I'm vaccinated and will happily wear propper PPE). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem; iPhone overheats whilst using Lightroom. 

I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max bought early 2021 running Lightroom v6.4.0

As soon as I open lightroom you can feel the iPhone begin to heat up, before you've even started editting. Generally takes 2-3 minutes for the phone to overheat making it unusable until it's cooled down.

I don't understand Adobes comment on this thread re: getting your iPhone serviced - mine is barely 6 months old and I can edit 4k video in Rush without the phone overheating. 

Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@oliver5EEF 

Can you describe more about what Lightroom is doing when the temperature climbs? 

What's your device internet access like?  If the device gets hot before you even begin editing or other work that is intense on the processor, it could indicate your phone is working extra hard to get and receive data. 

Are you importing or syncing in Lightroom while browsing photos?  Things like this may not seem intense, but can cause the device radio and CPU to work concurrently, producing more heat from CPU and battery draw than with a single process alone.

Aside from these things, does it help to reinstall the app?

Previous comments about suggesting Apple Support to perform a help check on one's device are precautionary.  High heat and rapid battery draining might indicate a hardware problem -- especially if this happens with a range of apps on the device. Apple service technicians have battery diagnostic tools to ensure the device is working as expected.  Fwiw, my guess is your device is fine since you mention other apps like Rush don't cause temperature increases.

If you do a web search like "iphone getting warm" you will see pages come up with troubleshooting advice you may want to check out.  

Thanks for reaching out to us with this problem report.  The Lightroom iOS team does have an engineering ticket logged to investigate reports here and evaluate possible solutions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.i have the same issue on 2018 iPad Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all I am having the same issue it is really hard i am a legally blind photographer / I'm left with 1.5% sight from brain cancer, I got a 2020 12.9 inch ipad pro mailly for photo editing and i am very disapointed, due to the fact i cannot see very much at all i was hopeing to use the 12.9 inch ipad to edit my photos very close up to my face, obviousaly this device dosnot have a keyboard meaning i am able to bring the screen much closer 

If someone could fix this issue that would be so amazing for all of us 

at the moment i unfortunately i have to use a laptop which means im having to hunch over a laptop to try and see what i am doing incrediblly hard 

Legally blind photographer James Norquay [ THANKS]

@norquaydesigns insta

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m now pretty sure the issue is not with Lightroom but with how the iPad sims screen when using a lot of processing power to balance the heat generation.
I found that by keeping iPad out of any cases and making sure every other app is closed, the amount of time the screen is dimmed is shorter.
Not ideal but that’s been my solution.
Potentially new iPad with more powerful chip won’t have same issue

www.lucaortis.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not an issue of an iPad. I am working on latest m1 iPad Pro. M1 is extremely powerful chip. I am able to work in Lumafusion editing 4k video and even after an hour of working with idimming problem is not present and that is much more demanding on power. It's definitely an issue of Lightroom and bad optimalization. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here ! Iphone 12 pro max, not even 2 min in and I'm getting the signal my pone temperature needs to cool down!!! Im not on wifi and been editing on differents app all day. Only happen with light room, so weird!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Iphone 12 pro user here and I've been experiencing the same issues over the majority of the year. Every time i start Lightroom on my iphone and start editing i have about 5-10 minutes of editing before it dims to 70% then another couple minutes until 50% then eventually if i go too long it either shuts off, crashes or dims all the way down.

Extremely frustrating since it makes the app unusable.

Thanks,

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats even more frustrating is that Adobe claims they cant reproduce. I call BS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with iPhone 12 Pro Max. It's very frustrating and impossible to continue the work 😡

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have had the same issue with my new IPad Pro 11 2021 since the beginning. I got in touch with Adobe tech support and they promised that the issue will be fixed in the latest update 7.1 unfortunately that didn't happen and the brightness still dims quickly while using the app.

Have any of you received an answer or a possible from Adobe? This makes no sense, they are selling a product that doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my iphone 13 pro is warming up while working with Lightroom, when editing one photo, the screen starts to go out from overheating on ios 15.2. What can it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of photo changes are you processing while you experienced this behavior? Do you have any other Lr processes like import/ download running? - Guido/ Lr QE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, when working with masks, there is a strong heating of the device, unloading / loading is disabled at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how many masks do you normally edit with and which one are you using the most?...in addition, do you have streaming apps like spotify running in the background. hoping to get a clue about your issue soon - Guido/ Lr QE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most often I use linear and radial gradients, all other applications are turned off, the charger is turned off. Before the update on ios 15.2, everything worked fine, without overheating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say but Adobe Supoort replies and comments are ridiculous on this one 

110% sure they know they have a problem as there are too many people around the world with same issue for Many Years!!

I now use top of line 13pro max and same as 12 pro max and other models I have used before ALL overheat when I try to edit on mobile Lightroom 

does not happen with any other app - not with Photos or other 

Admit the issue exists and Fix it please 

we paying premium today for your product 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you will have to refuse to pay for a premium subscription, since it is impossible to process photos with masks. The iPhone 13 pro heats up in a matter of minutes to a critical temperature and the screen fades to the maximum. He doesn't behave like that with any other game or program, even if you turn on the endless vibration mode in the game. I hope this flaw will disappear in the updated version of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting this to a bug just to be clear that we do acknowledge the reports here and have a ticket logged for the engineers to investigate.

Please share specific steps used when this occurs.

--- 

February 5, 2024 Update
[WORKAROUND]

Although it's not ideal, it may help if you enable ‘battery saver’ mode, which throttles the GPU then Lightroom performs much more slowly BUT the overheating/screen dimming issue no longer occurs.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I specifically rebooted the phone in the morning, Bluetooth is off, Wi-Fi is on, the screen brightness is maximum. All third-party programs did not start, I turn on the lightroom, turn off synchronization just in case. I open a photo already uploaded in advance, taken with the same iPhone, I start working with curves, brightness, contrast, heating is not felt. I add the "object selection" mask, the object is highlighted and I start working with the light, heating is immediately felt under the camera unit (the processor is located there), then within one or two minutes the screen fades three times, and the rear window and screen are noticeably heated. I turn off the application, after 5 minutes the screen returns to normal. I open any application, including Snapseed, and there is no overheating. I assure you that the reason is in the lightroom masks, but there were no such problems in ios 15.1, it appeared after updating to ios 15.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?! Just now making this a bug? I reported this while I was in Thailand in 2019. Has happened on 3 newer iPhones since.  And like my initial "bug" report, almost everyone here has given you detailed steps on how to repro. You guys are so lame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume they wrote this piece of garbage in Adobe Air and its a hacked port 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate