• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: iOS: Edits are lost after saving to camera roll

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very happy with the new lightroom update for iphone that has selective pen. It is great!

Here are the bugs of the latest (2.8.1) release:

1. When editing a picture and saving to the local filmroll on the phone, all edits are lost afterwards if one does not remember to press "force sync" before saving.
2. When using selective pen, the red area is gone if you want to edit the area afterwards.
3. When using selective pen, the whole area can be moved. However after moving it, alle further editing, like drawing more on the area happens on another place than where your finger is...

best regards,
Atle

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
16 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant say i have any of those issues on my 2 ipads and iPhone 6s.

Isnt 'force sync' to do with syncing to the cloud and nothing to do with how the files are saved locally?

Im assuming you are selecting the already masked area first before editing it, and you haven't got never show overlay turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Yes, this is a problem related to cloud saving. It has been like this for a while. It is reported before and tried to fix, but still some leftovers of this problem. When you use a lot of time to edit, it is not funny to loose it.

There are two choices for showing overlay. none of them shows my redmask.

best regards,
Atle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback:

Regarding #3 - this is a known issue which will be fixed in an update.

Regarding #1 - We are unable to duplicate what you are seeing. Are you using Lightroom's Save to Camera Roll feature or are you using the Sharing button to access the iOS sharing options?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Atle.

I think i must be missing something.
When i edit my raw files on iPad the only time i have to save anything is when i save the JPG version with edits to the IOS camera roll. All other times i just close  LRM down. The raw files get transferred to my desktop LR with all edits intact when i have it open on my ipad, although it can take a while. Ive never had to use force sync or any type of save.

Ive just tried the local adjustment brush on my phone and i what i see is this. If i have applied a gradient overlay i have ot move it to get the red mask to show. If ive used the brush then  clicking on its relevant pin brings the mask up straight away.

During this time i also noticed the new edits i had done appeared on the same file in LR no my desktop, without me doing anything to get this to happen.

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 I think it is better than it used to be, And I cannot find an easy receipt of how to do it. But it has happened to me several times on the latest version also. Maybe without wifi. I always prohibit syncing to cloud when I am without Wifi. When this happens, I normally do an edit, save the picture to the iphone with max resolution. When saving is ready, I quickly go to Instagram or whattsapp and post the picture. Then go back to lighroom there is no edit at all. Not even light adjustments. 

#2 I have selected "auto show red overlay" and the red mask never shows. When using the other gradient tool, the red mask shows correctly.

best regards,
Atle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a side note. Its been pointed out in another thread (and ive confirmed it) that if you save at max resolution you always end up with the same size  image dimensions, even if you have heavily cropped. This means you aren't actually getting the max resolution/quality. This has nothing to do with your other issues, just thought id point this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, No I have not seen that.
I only use Lightroom for iphone and seldom for the PC.

best regards,
Atle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Bug number 1 is still present in the latest lightroom app for iOS. When editing a pictuire and saving to camera roll without going back to the main menu in between makes it loose all edit. A still very annoying bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Atle,

Can you confirm your version of Lightroom CC for mobile with a screenshot?

Can you also provide your steps to reproduce this issue in a list so we can attempt to reproduce?

Lastly, can you try to provide matching screenshots to each of those steps so we're clear where we should be looking?

Thanks for reporting this experience,
Melissa
Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa, thank you for the quick reply.
Here is a bullet-proof method to trig the bug.
Please let me know if you need more info, but I dont think you need it:

1. Edit a photo.
2. Save the photo to the camera-roll
3. Stay in the picture and wait a little bit to check that no sync is going on.
3. exit the lightroom program
4. double-click to shut down lightroom abruptly
5. Open lightroom. 
6. The edit is lost.

The problem with the currect code:
----------------------------------------------
The edit is only saved in RAM and is uploaded to the cloud only when going back to picture-root or when doing a forced sync. Also if the user leaves the program there is a time-out in iOS that shuts unused programs and clears lightroom-RAM. 

Here is the solution:
-------------------------------
Save all changes locally in the NV-storage as the user edit the picture. Upload the changes to the cloud whenever there is time for it. Very simple.

What I normally do, is that I edit a picture, then save it on my camera roll, then exit the program to follow up on the picture, post it on IG or send it on mail. This is normal behaviour and this deletes my edit so its gone the next time I enter. Im pretty sure im not the only one having this behaviour.

Hope you fix it this time, good luck!

best regards,
Atle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Atle,

I just attempted to reproduce the issue with your steps and still see the edit on the photo, not lost. Perhaps, I'm not doing this step correctly according to how you're doing it: 
"double-click to shut down lightroom abruptly".

Also, to replicate the "no sync" requirement - I turned on Airplane mode. I also turned off Use Cellular Data.

Are you able to provide those screenshots I mentioned previously? This would ensure I'm doing the exact same steps you're doing. Perhaps even a screen recording.

Also, were you able to confirm that you're on 3.0.1? What iPhone version do you have as well?

Thanks,
Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just upgraded my iphone 6 to latest iOS and checked lightroom is 3.0.1.
I will take some screenshots later.
I test this bug with a crop/resize.

Beat regards,
Atle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Atle,

I think that was the missing detail. I was trying a preset and some exposure changes before. I just cropped and resized a photo and I can reproduce the behavior you're seeing.

I'll check with the team on this issue.

Thanks,
Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't find time to log the issue yet, but it has happened to me a couple of times and... I cannot always reproduce it for sure.

Now, after I've done an "export to the camera roll", i'll go back and give it a mark (star or flag), and i'll check that my (squared) crop is confirmed for instagram.

The way I realized that was that some of my images had been posted to insta, and while looking for them, they were neither developped or cropped...
Lr v.3.2.0 C96EDE
iOS 11.3 on iPhone 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the problem is still there for sure. To avoid it, always go back, out of the edit view. Then in again. It seemes that flushes the memory in most cases so that it is not lost. If you are in a hurry to post something you would edit->save to camera roll-> exit light room-> post on IG or something. Then it is lost in most cases. The Adobe team has not found the solution yet. I think it has something to do regarding when iOS flushes working memory to static memory or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yep, that's the kind of thing I saw. And, as I mentioned, it's not easy to reproduce, and can feel really "silent", because, once the picture is posted on insta, you're not gonna touch it so soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate