• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow for a second monitor

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where has the secondary monitor feature gone ?
I'm just starting to use the cloud version after completing migration (which took a long time). How many more basic features will be missing?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
89 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trialing Lightroom CC after using Capture one. No dual screen capacity in a 2018 product? What a joke! Still dabbling with other features before deciding whether to subscribe, but no dual screen capacity will be a killer for me. Wake up Adobe, your competitors have the edge in this regard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's comparing apples with oranges. You need to be comparing LR Classic with Capture One for a more meaningful comparison. Lightroom CC is the brand new cloud-centric app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean I will have to pay more when CC is finished? (I don't believe it is yet at its minimal viable product state - there are significant use cases missing and quite significant defects)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't have thought so, at least in the short-term. The point of the subscription licensing is that it is supposed to facilitate ongoing enhancements/feature improvements, unlike the perpetual licensing model which didn't. So if you subscribe, you should expect to see ongoing changes (as we saw with the recent version 1.1 update), though like all subscriptions I would expect the pricing will always be under review. But I don't work for Adobe, so I'm just speculating. My own Adobe subscription which I started more that 4 years ago has increased very very slightly in that period (mainly due to currency fluctuations).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - still waiting for an answer on this... I'm using Lightroom CC Classic (latest iteration as of Jan 2018) and the famous Julieanne Kost tutorial on this link teaches you to click on monitor 2 in Library view. I don't have this button for some reason - so I've fallen at the first hurdle... will continue to look around the app to see what I've either turned off... or LR have moved (she is using an earlier version). But surely, they won't have binned the feature!

EDIT: - Didn't take long! - Found it! - just go to Window / Secondary Disply / Show or Cmd F11. Looks fine... except actually I was hoping to have more of a develop mode on main screen with the palettes on the secondary.... and this isn't really what it's set up for... but hey... it's all still there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spiketrain  wrote

Found it! - just go to Window / Secondary Disply / Show or Cmd F11.

Thanks for posting that you found it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using PC or Mac? I don't see a Window option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More name confusion!  The "Window / Secondary Disply / Show or Cmd F11" procedure is for (computer/file based) Lightroom Classic.  You won't find it in (cloud/mobile based) Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there still no 2nd monitor in the new Lightroom CC (What a silly name, new CC..)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not there in my Mac Version of the new CC. Do you use the old CC (new Classic?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely baffling to not have this enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Randall+H  wrote

Absolutely baffling to not have this enabled.

No it is not!  The new, cloud Lightroom CC is being built for the cross platform process ranging from phone, to tablet, to web and computer.  How would a second monitor fit in to the first three.  To keep it somewhat consistent across all four, you won't get dual screens.

Lightroom Classic CC is file/computer based.  It has dual monitor capability and it makes sense there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we are now only going for the lowest common denominator???  It is totally asinine to say that we can't have a function on a more capable computer just because that capability is not on a phone. (How many professional photographers edit a full wedding on phone????).  If that's the case I think we should declare all web browsers and web sites should only support no greater than 2 inch wide screens no matter what size monitor you have just because it might be read on a phone.... COME ON....!!!! How about... if there's a second monitor, USE IT.  If there's not a second monitor, don't use it.  This isn't rocket science.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why allow it

1) To be installed on desktop machines - but not use their capabilities
2) Allow it to use graphic card acceleration - how many great graphics cards in tablets or phones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>How many professional photographers edit a full wedding on phone????

If you are a pro, Lightroom CC is probably not for you. It can be used in a pro setting but it simply misses almost every feature that a pro would need (no printing, no publish services, no virtual copies, no hierarchical keywording, no export to anything but jpeg, no dual monitors, no sharing to anything but Facebook, inability to effectively deal with very large numbers of images due to typical upload bandwidth limitations, etc etc. etc. For a long time, Classic is going to be it for the pro crowd.

Lightroom CC is targeted to a different audience. It is the iPhone shooter crowd that wants absolute max quality from their shots and it is the folks that value access to all images on any machine above all else. These are folks that absolutely do not want to know what happens behind the scenes as long as they can get to their pictures everywhere and on any device they own. Lightroom CC also presents a simplified and easier to understand interface to novices which is the main problem for increased Classic adoption. Having taught quite a few Lightroom classes to hobbyist and even to more advanced photographers it is quite obvious that Lightroom Classic is very intimidating and complex to folks who haven't worked with the program from the very beginning. Lightroom CC presents a much easier to understand paradigm. The simplicity and accessibility thing is clearly a major driver behind CC and I am sure Adobe is driven to keep it that way so feature bloat is not something they will want.

Lastly, I would point out that you can use a Classic and CC combination to get the best of both worlds. Classic is my main repository and main editing platform and I sync selectively to Lightroom CC from there and sometimes edit these images on an iPad (it's quite convenient and nice to directly manipulate an image on a tablet and editing smart previews works just fine). On travel when I don't want to lug a laptop, I import into the iPad into Lightroom CC and when I get home, all my images are already synced down to my Desktop in Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) To be installed on desktop machines - but not use their capabilities

The point of CC is that it behaves exactly the same on any platform you use it on and if you know one you can use the other. This necessarily means dealing with the lowest common denominator problem. CC is best understood as basically a port of the mobile app to the desktop.

2) Allow it to use graphic card acceleration - how many great graphics cards in tablets or phones?

The mobile apps make heavy use of the GPUs to make the speed there bearable. Many of these mobile devices have surprisingly powerful GPUs. Lightroom CC would likely not be possible without doing that. This is to the point where on a good tablet Lightroom CC can actually feel more responsive than on a desktop computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jwm2g  wrote

So we are now only going for the lowest common denominator???  ..... This isn't rocket science.

Not at all!  If you can get it figured out how Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop all work together in an "ecosystem" you might find it the highest common denominator.  The interrelationships are complex.  But you can do anything with any image.  If you open up the video options, it gets even more spectacular!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you speaking as an authorized strategist for Adobe, or is this just

an opinion?  I hardly think Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC rise to

the level of an ecosystem.  It's two products from different sources

that are intended to solve the same problem, and some marketing wizards

at Adobe have desperately attempted to come up with a strategy that says

"yeah... we MEANT to do that....".  As a product developer/manager for a

major computer company for well over 30 years, I know two things.... NO

company in their right mind is going to maintain two products from

different origins that are intended to solve the same problem ad

infinitum. They can not or should not support two development groups for

competing product strategies. and NO company (in their right mind) is

going to purposely limit functionality for the 'greater good' of some

previously-mentioned flimsy strategy.  You don't compete with yourself. 

The competition is "out there".  I completely understand migration

paths.  But if some 'strategist' thinks two products forever that have

to be explained to the user that do the same functionality is the right

way to go, sell your stock. (My apologies if that strategist is you...

but I still vehemently disagree).  IMHO, one of these products is going

away sooner or later.  Hopefully sanity will come back and all of the

needed functionality that is spread across both products will ultimately

merge into the one product.  But keeping two separate products as a

long-term strategy, if it is indeed the long-term strategy, needs some

different people providing input.

BTW.... the comment was made that it is impossible to have a second

monitor on a phone or tablet.  I've got an Apple TV that does that.  The

argument that CC can't have a 2nd monitor due to use on a phone does not

hold water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There whsprague​ and others. Just wanted to follow up and say I get what you're saying, I realise now I'm a victim of the awkward naming too.

I was updating my machine - saw Lightroom CC and assumed it was what I wanted when it fact it's Classic that I need.

Further to the discussion about Lightroom on mobile devices (and cross platform) I totally get it. While you might not edit a wedding on a phone I know there are other applications for it.

3 years ago I filmed the Volvo Ocean Race (video not stills) and the photogs there had ipads around their necks. They're taking shots during races. downloading to ipad and pushing them in virtual real time to social media. They would have LOVED to have been able to do some basic settings in LR before pushing to social media and then pick up where they left off on land when they had time for print versions etc. This new LR version will be a godsend for them.

I do think Adobe could have thought the names out better tho - the new kid on the block should have the new name - not the old app (IMHO). It's obviously confusing quite a few people but I'm sure we'll get used to it.

Cheers and peace to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jwm2g​: That was quite a rant! You're even more irritated by this than I am! I also have software development experience and that's why this worries me... having two products with similar names and similar function is just not a typical long term strategy.

Maybe the new one just needs a new name... maybe "LightCloud"? Probably already taken...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

abruzzopat  wrote

.....Maybe the new one just needs a new name... maybe "LightCloud"? Probably already taken...

Actually, it had a great one!  It was called "Lightroom Mobile".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree that Lightroom CC needs multi-monitor support. Lightroom Classic is unusably slow, even on a screaming-fast brand new PC. If CC is the future, Adobe needs to migrate all key photo-editing features like dual monitor support or continue to lose their userbase to other products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used LR "second monitor" feature for photo presentations, I would appreciate the feature in CC too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Lightroom CC removed the ability to display images on a secondary display. That's a horrific loss of functionality. What sounded like a promising update turned into a step backwards. Come on, Adobe, get your act together!

Votes

Translate

Translate