Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After import from LRC, library does not sync and kills internet connection

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I decided to move from LRC to LR 10 days ago and I made a trial with a small catalog (2000pics). I imported it into LR, stored the originals locally and synced with an Ipad and an Iphone. All worked fine and smooth so I decided to move the entire catalog.

I wiped the library from LR (on lighroom.adobe.com) and started the migration of the entire catalog (38k pics). 

Once all pics were moved to the local drive it started to sync and here problems begun. The syncing was very slow (less than 3000 pics) in 2 days and then it came to an halt. Even more troubling, this basically inactive syncing completely killed my internet connection. I have typically 50 mb/s download and 12 mb/s upload but if i run a speedtest while LR was syncing it did not even manage to do the test. All devices connectto internet were unusable. And yet no syncing.... The very moment I would stop syncing LR, internet would start to work again.

I then wiped the library again and I have imported the trial catalog first used. Now I have the same problem of no syncing/no internet.

I am using an old iMac (2010) i7 but with 16GB and 2tbSSD running High Sierra. LRC worked just fine on this machine.

Any idea on what can I do to have LR working properly (syncing without jamming the connection)?

anyhelp is much appreciated

TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered migrating in smaller chunks? 38k images at once is very ambitious. I would try a few thousand images at a time, wait for things to sync and settle, then add a few thousand more. It's much easier to find and fix any issues if you work in smaller segments, and don't try to eat the elephant in one bite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael. Indeed I tried again with a smaller catalog (2000 pics, the same of the first import) but -contrary to the first time I tried- it does not sync and it kills internet. I will try to te-install LR and let you know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if you need to consider a different Internet provider with faster connections. I have an Internet connection with download speeds of 940 and upload speeds of 40 mb/s, and I never have sync problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim but I doubt this is a solution. First because there is no better provider unfortunately here where I am but most of all I don't think this is the problem. As I said, the first time I built the library syncing worked just fine. After the second install however syncing is not just slower, it is simply halted even if Lightroom syncing service absorbs all the available download bandwidth. In fact when I stop syncing (even keeping LR open) interne works fine. There is something wrong with LR syncing. I saw similar complains in the community in the past but I did not find solutions yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates: So I tried to uninstall and reinstall LR. I have cancelled the library and re-imported the catalog.

The problem is still there. To give you a sense of what is happening I post here two tests, one done when the library is not syncing and the other when done as soon as syncing is resumed. The test is not even able to perform. Consder however that photos are uploaded very slow, i would say 1 or 2 photos (12MB average size) per minute.
So if LR is sucking up all the bandwith (7MB/second in upload) I would expect to see 30 pics uploaded every minute but I see only 1 or 2. It looks terribly inefficent and it could not go unnoticed if it was a general problrem of LR. So I think there must be a specific problem in my set up.

I was wondering whether I can at least limit the bandwidth consumed by lightroom so I can let my family use internet while the upload finishes. For the longterm however, I am considering whether LR is a usable option for me becaseu even a simple 1000 pics download after a trip could kill the usability of my network for days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was your real motivation for switching from LrC to Lightroom? It seems to me that your Internet speed is a bottleneck, but I'm not really an expert in that area. Looking at things from my perspective, it would seem that LrC would be a better choice in your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. I followed this advise and sitched back to lrc for a while. My typical workflow is that i download my pictures on the mac where i have lrc  which syncs the album on lightroom and then i cull and work on my pics on the ipad. It works fine. Few days ago i instead downloaded few hundred pics on the ipad and imported in lightroom. They should sync back to the lrc but the sync basically sucks up all my internet connection without acually syncing at all the pics. It basically replicates the same isse i had above. This time from the lightroom on ipad. Please see the video at this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y7lg33ow31lnmn/RPReplay_Final1640724745.MP4?dl=0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines