• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Both catalog and backups internal drive which are backed up to an external drive. Mistake?

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of now, my core catalog and associated backups target my internal drive. These files are sync'd with Dropbox and further backed up to an external hard drive.

Am I making a mistake targetting my internal drive for backups? If so, should I target the external physical drive for backups instead? If I do this, the external must be plugged in to successfully backup, correct? What happens if Lr tries to backup the catalog and the external is not plugged in?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are doing fine, because eventually you are backing up to an external drive. Backups should be made to an external drive, so you can use these if anything happens to your internal drive. Lightroom could also make its catalog backups directly to the external drive. If that drive is not connected when Lightroom wants to make a catalog backup, it will warn you about that and offer you to temporarily use the internal drive. That is better than no backup at all, of course, and you are backing up these anyway.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines