• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Ecosystem: Selective Sync

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a professional and have only used Lightroom for less than a year. I do love the redesign and I want to use it but I don't like the auto-sync. How hard would it be to implement an option that prevents auto sync and instead enables manual sync? 

My idea is to add a manual sync option in the settings and when you want a photo to be uploaded to the cloud you should be able to click on the cloud button and hit "Sync" or "Upload". Taking away people's ability to choose doesn't just scare away the pros but also the beginners. 
Also, some advanced features from the original Lightroom need to be added. One of them is the export function. The new export function is terrible. I only see "Small, Full Size, and Custom". The original Lightroom has a lot more export functions.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Selective Sync (by keeping select items local) was released in the Local Storage Feature today on Lightroom Desktop. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 211 Replies 211
211 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What that post means is that with cloud Lightroom (not Classic), there is an option to cache the cloud originals locally (in a hidden folder). It is not an option to edit originals that have never been uploaded to the cloud, so it was never intended to do what you are trying to do.

that makes no sense, my photos are already offline (sd card), I want to use them directly without uploading them unless I want to (which I don't at all)

By @DoNotSellOrDisplayMyInfo

It sounds like you want to edit directly on the SD card without even copying them to the computer? That is impossible with cloud-based Lightroom, which requires importing before editing. With Lightroom Classic, it is possible to leave files where they are if you select the Add option in the Import dialog box. Add means “catalog the image in its current folder without moving or copying it.”

However, there is a special rule for some removable media such as SD cards. Lightroom Classic is programmed to forbid cataloging an image on that kind of media. That means the Move and Add options are not available for camera card formats. There are multiple reasons for this: One is that in case it’s a camera card, it could get reformatted soon and then the images would not be there the next time Lightroom Classic looks for them. The other reason is that some cameras are picky about the file system on a card that camera set up, so allowing other programs to work off the SD card potentially risks the data on the card.

Now, you could say Adobe is being too cautious here. But that is the philosophy of the Lightroom team, to err on the safe side with data. You can certainly ask for it to be changed by submitting a feature request in the Ideas section of this community, and if it gets enough upvotes there it might happen.

So what can you do in the meantime? Instead of Lightroom or Lightroom Classic, you can use Photoshop and Adobe Bridge to browse the SD card and edit. If it’s a raw file, either application can open it in Adobe Camera Raw. I don’t know exactly why they treat SD cards differently than the Lightroom team, but my guess is that it’s because those applications are not cataloging so they never have to count on those images being there next time, they just edit and move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page explains how to upgrade your storage.  (And I agree - it should be easier.  I am personally working to improve this, but in the meantime, the link above is your best bet.)

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like reviewing all my pictures in Lightroom to have the opportunity to do some quick adjustments (Test a framing, check if the highlights are recoverables...). However a single photo shoot can exceed my cloud storage quota, and I cannot afford to have extra Tb plan.

What would be ideal for my workflow would be to be able to have the option to control which files are to be synced in the cloud (for backup, use on my phone...). Being able to choose if the pictures of an album is synced to the cloud or locally only would be an amazing feature for me. By default being locally only when importing new pictures would be really handy too.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I'm new to lightroom (I've always used Camera Raw and Bridge) I've desktop/mobile/web lightroom. My big question is: Can I choose what to sync? example: I take 100 photos with Iphone (NOT lightroom mobile photo) every time I go into lightroom mobile App to edit a photo, it syncs all 100 photos that I am not interested in, and I get them in lightroom web/desktop. Similarly, I don't want to import a 30Mb photo to lightroom desktop and find it in lightroom mobile on the iphone. How does one choose what to sync. (maybe it's me not understanding how to take advantage of this automatic thing). Thanks for the helpfulness. 🤝😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are in the wrong forum. This is the Lightroom Classic forum but your question is not about Lightroom Classic. Please post in the Lightroom (ecosystem) forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I'm new to lightroom (I've always used Camera Raw and Bridge) I've Lightroom classic desktop/Lightroom mobile/web Lightroom. My big question is: Can I choose what to sync? example: I take 100 photos with Iphone (NOT lightroom mobile photo) every time I go into lightroom mobile App to edit a single photo, it syncs all 100 photos that I am not interested in, and I get them in lightroom web/desktop.  How does one choose what to sync. (maybe it's me not understanding how to take advantage of this automatic thing). Thanks for the helpfulness. 🤝😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Lightroom Settings/Import you should see option switches to Auto Import from Camera Roll.

2023-05-11 09_12_25-AdobeLightroomEditLikeAPro-1.pdf - Foxit PDF Reader.jpg

TBMK if you turn these switches 'off' then photos taken with the IOS iPhone camera will only be added to Lr & synced to the Cloud by a 'manual' process. 

2023-05-11 09_17_57-AdobeLightroomEditLikeAPro-1.pdf - Foxit PDF Reader.jpg

Photos taken with the Lightroom Camera will always be synced to the Cloud.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love this to be possible too. After 4 years of the OP, it still is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should allow users to decide which photos/albums are synced to the cloud and which are just stored locally. I have plenty of local storage, dwindling cloud storage, and plenty of photos that I don't need on the cloud. Up until now, my best solution (beyond deleting photos) has been to export entire photo albums (original + settings) to external hard drives for archiving. That way, I figure, I can always just import them back in if I ever need to edit those photos again. In retrospect, this seems absurd since I should be able to keep my photos and edits accessible within my photo editing app's library. If I have the local storage space for Lr desktop (or even Lr iPad) to use, I shouldn't need to export photos outside of the app just to keep Lr's cloud sync functional. I should be able to exclude them from cloud sync, and still be able to use Lr to manage, view, and edit them.

do not want to contact Adobe support to pay for more than 1 TB. I don't want to migrate to LrC just for local photo libraries. So, without this small feature, I've started looking at competing photo editors, but I would prefer to stay with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Selective Sync (by keeping select items local) was released in the Local Storage Feature today on Lightroom Desktop. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate