Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Can I have images only locally without syncing to cloud?

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have Lightroom 4.3. Is there a way to use an only-local option to store images -- i.e., no copying to cloud? There seems to be a way to keep a copy locally, but not prevent copying to cloud. Apologies if this was already discussed/answered elsewhere. Thanks

TOPICS
How to, Import and share, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021
Have you considered using Lightroom Classic? 

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021
Lightroom is not designed to work only locally. You would not have access to Adobe Sensei, for example, which is used to search for images based on content. If you don't want to store your images in the cloud, then Lightroom is not for you. You could indeed better switch to Lightroom Classic in that case.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you pause it,  syncing to the Cloud happens automatically.

The option to store a copy locally, is a copy of the photos in the Cloud and its main use is for quicker and offline access.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered using Lightroom Classic? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is not designed to work only locally. You would not have access to Adobe Sensei, for example, which is used to search for images based on content. If you don't want to store your images in the cloud, then Lightroom is not for you. You could indeed better switch to Lightroom Classic in that case.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga @JimHess @selondon : Classic solved it, thanks a bunch you guys! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very anti-user that Adobe requires storing the image files in the cloud to use Lightroom CC. I have nearly half a terabyte of image files and it's constantly changing. That would take forever to upload with my 0.0000025 TBps upload speed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultnw1cujcax44l wrote:

It is very anti-user that Adobe requires storing the image files in the cloud to use Lightroom CC. I have nearly half a terabyte of image files and it's constantly changing. That would take forever to upload with my 0.0000025 TBps upload speed.

First of all, Lightroom only syncs its non-destructive edits, which are small text files. Once the image is in the cloud, there is not much not syncing anymore (until you upload a new image, of course). Secondly, there is nothing "anti-user" about giving many users an option they like. Even if that means that this option is not suitable to you with your slow upload speed. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just another alternative- I use Bridge, edit in photoshop and download and save photos on an external hide drive. I back up to a separate external drive.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines