Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppiness when dragging zoomed-in photo on GPU

Explorer ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've notived that Lightroom on desktop is painfully slow when just dragging photo around when zoomed in using GPU.

I see absolutely no reason for such dragging being not butter smooth 100 FPS, or 1000 for that matter.

Machine is more than capable (dxdiag attached), no other heavy processes are working.

On the video you can see the frame choppiness - it's not an effect of low framerate video - it's exactly how it performs. Photos shown on the video are just JPGs, not even heavy RAWs.

When GPU acceleration is disabled, no such low framerate choppiness occurs - draggins is smooth enough.

Looks like when dragged the currently visible part of photo is being copied to GPU memory. Still no reason for it not to happen at 100+ FPS.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any update on this? Is this working as intended?

Since there are many issues with Lightrooms performance over the years, I'm actually curious: do Lightroom developers responsible for performance and user experience play FPS games?

I think my expectation of butter smooth UI responsiveness is due to being used to responsiveness of FPS games and also, having developed them, knowing how much incredibly heavy computations, including transferring gigabytes of data from SSD to GPU memory every second, those games can perform smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines