• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping path in Lightroom (cloud based version)

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any ways to make a clipping path in Lightroom? I work a lot with product photography, and that would have been a massive help! 

If I mask the product in Lightroom, it is almost the same prosess, only I have to do it twice, first for editing, then again in Photoshop to save jpg with clippingpath for the users of the photos.. 

Does this exist, and if not, why not? 😅

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

A clipping path is more of a graphic design production feature, and so it has never existed in either Lightroom or Lightroom Classic, which are both tightly focused on photography only.

Photoshop has long contained features for both photography and graphic design, so because clipping paths support graphic design workflows, clipping paths have long been a part of Photoshop. Creating a clipping path in Lightroom would first require Adobe to add tools for creating vector paths, and probably also

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a clipping path? This is not something I have heard of...

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It´s a way of making a mask around an object, so you dont have to delete the background. We use it all the time with product photography, specially if its going into a media store with thousands of other brands and products. As Conrad says below it is more of a designer tool, but still a much used tool for photography too. 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A clipping path is more of a graphic design production feature, and so it has never existed in either Lightroom or Lightroom Classic, which are both tightly focused on photography only.

Photoshop has long contained features for both photography and graphic design, so because clipping paths support graphic design workflows, clipping paths have long been a part of Photoshop. Creating a clipping path in Lightroom would first require Adobe to add tools for creating vector paths, and probably also tools for editing them such as a Pen tool.

You can ask Adobe to add clipping paths by submitting a feature request in the Ideas section here, then try to get enough people to vote for it so that it becomes a high priority. But because cloud-based Lightroom is so focused on non-print workflows like social media (Lightroom can’t even print), it may be a challenge to make clipping paths a higher priority than other requested features that are closer to what Adobe thinks the mission of Lightroom is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a good answer! 👍👍

It supports what I thought, but I still wish for clipping path tool 😅

I am taking a lot of product photography and sending them to retailers. They often have a media store and demand fixed sizes and then also clipping paths in the jpeg´s. From their media stores the photos are picked to go on websites, flyers, magazines etc. So for me it would mean I have a smoother workflow and save time. 

I just might submitt this, I would think I´m not the only wishing for it 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines