Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Copying images to a new external hard drive

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I copy pictures in Lightroom from one external hard drive to a new hard drive? When I try to import/“copy” images from the original hard drive, virtually all are grayed out, even though I've unchecked the 'do not import suspected duplicates' box, and I can't 'copy' or 'add' the images to a newly created folder on a new drive.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a bit more information, like what version of Lightroom you are using, so a member of the community can assist?

Go to Help - Systen Info

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't import files to Lightroom Classic (or earlier versions) using the actual files which have already been cataloged, which is what you are trying to do. The "Do Not Import Suspected Duplicates" option doesn't apply in this case, as the images you are trying to import are not "duplicates", they are the already imported files. 

If for some reason you want to have two different copies of the same file in the Lightroom, you would first need to copy them from the existing hard drive location to the new hard drive using Finder. Then you should be able to do an "Add" import from the copies on the new hard drive with the "Do Not Import Suspected Duplicates" option unchecked.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  🙏 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines