• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting photos from Lightroom BEFORE they sync

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help undertsanding how Lr deletes photos. Basically I want to simply permantenly delete all photos from the Deleted folder. When I try do this, the photos still show greyed out Thumbnails. I can't make them just disappear.

In a little more detail...

I have to work quite a lot offline. I import new photos to Lightroom, select the few keepers and move the rest to the trash. When I get online, Lr seems to want to sync all the photos, including those in the trash, before I deletes them. Right now I have over 1600 photos in Lr's Deleted Folder. I have Permanently Deleted them all, and yet the thumbnails are still there, greyed out, with the little blue sync circle showing in the corner. With my crappy internet connection, it will take forever. I don't understand why Lr seems to be syncing photos I have already told it to delete... permanently. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

TOPICS
macOS , Web

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested (albeit on v3.4) and yes, when I import with WiFi off, delete the photo and then try to permanently delete, it just stays greyed out. When WiFi is turned back on, it has to sync to the Cloud before permanently deleting.

However, if you Pause Syncing previous to the Import it deletes permanently before syncing to the Cloud.

Also, and maybe even better for you. With Wifi off, if you select delete permanently then Pause Syncing, any photos that haven't commenced syncing to the Cloud permanently deleted. At least in my testing.

Give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that. I was on with Above support today. You are right. Pausing
in the sync is the key. Because I spend so much time away from good wifi, I
will keep syncing paused by default. In this state I can import and delete
photos as I would hope. When I’m back to a good internet connection I will
turn synching back on. I think that will do it. --

(Personal details removed by Moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines