• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting RAW files from LR on a Mac

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello LR experts! This is my first post here. Question(s), please: I have edited a RAW file in LR, exported it as a JPEG to the LR folder, and now and I want to get rid of the multiple RAW images that I won't use. When I delete them from the file in my Mac, does LR keeps the RAW original of the one I edited in the cloud? Can I delete ALL my RAW files, includibg the one I chose and edited? And finally, if your answer is "yes", how do I back up the RAW files that LR keeps in the cloud, please?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to delete the raw files (and import the exported jpegs if you do want to keep the images in Lightroom), but perhaps you should reconsider your workflow. The whole idea about the non-destructive workflow in Lightroom is that you do not have to export edited images. Until you need an image for something outside of Lightroom. In that case you export a copy that is specific (in size, color space, compression) for that particular purpose. So if it's for the web, you export a smaller copy than if it is for printing, for example. When you have used the copy for its purpose, you discard it from your hard drive. That is because you can export a new copy if and when you need it. So keep your raw files because they are the high quality source images in the Lightroom workflow.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, John. I have started to understand. I am new to LR. Problem: When I have finished editing one picture, for a specific purpose, as you say, I see all the pictures that I imported to LR, and that I will not use, and want to get rid of, except for that one I do want to keep, the one I selected to edit. So, my question: How do I delete from LR, all of those RAW images that I do not want anymore, from LR and my hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Lightroom (not Lightroom Classic), then the original image is stored in the cloud. Any local copies can be always deleted. Lightroom has a built-in option to delete images. Just right-click on the image and choose to delete it. The deleted image will first be moved to an online trash can, so you can still retrieve it if you change your mind. After a certain period it will be permanently deleted, or you can do that manually.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I use :

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers! How do I back up the RAWs kept by LR in the cloud, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@othonleon wrote:

Thank you for your answers! How do I back up the RAWs kept by LR in the cloud, please?

Go to the preferences and select the option to store a local copy. You can define where that copy should be stored, so store it in a normal folder outside the Lightroom library.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines