• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Number of allowed Computers and Devices

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a member of the Lightroom+photoshop plan (£8.97 originally, now £9.99/month) for a year or two.

I found I was using lightroom less and less - in part because an increasing proportion of photos are from my mobile (iPhone 7+)/ carrying SLR less to travel more lightweight, and also because my computing style has become very cloud based. I use multiple devices - a Windows desktop PC (less), a macbook pro for work, and a Microsoft surface (windows) as my tablet/lightweight computing, finally my IOS device. (and also a watch...)

So I was close to canceling, and then came the big lightroom cc announcement. reading the marketing material I started to feel this was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Cloud based, cross device. Edit anywhere. PERFECT. I had a chat with support.. and a few days later decided to take up the 50% discount offer to upgrade to the 1TB plan (I have about 0.5TB photos)

I tried to use CC to migrate my catalog
- hit issues with tmp space (100s of GB needed) on C: (it's a small SSD), but as an IT professional I leveraged NTFS junctions to work around this (poor show from the SW)
- during the initial migration attempts the app crashed or hung at various points
- I finally got migration underway.. and this is where I am a week later, still waiting. AND THAT IS FINE.. I know my upload is only 20 Mbps (not that CC seems to be taking it alL)
- I installed lightroom CC on my macbook pro, and my desktop

UNTIL I was travelling, and figured I'd install CC on my windows surface too

OH NO.. I hit a two device restriction. Now I know this was the case with traditional lightroom but never for ONE SECOND did I think that applied to the cloud version. Read the marketing info. It's all about ANY DEVICE, ANYWHERE. mobile (a surface IS mobile),

I feel very let down. I've been missold. I'm struggling with seeing where the value is here... if it's cloud I want PROPER access anywhere. I even know some of the function is more limited, but it's about workflow, the way I use my systems.. and l;ightroom CC is MISSING here.

So where exactly is the two device limit CLEARLY shown. I certainly don't see it in the top level adverts.

Seriously thinking now whether in fact lightroom CC is a something I can't use in it's current form, and I've been missold. Where exactly is the value add over iPhones, perhaps I should just buy another mac instead of an adobe subscription......

Comments welcome

Nigel.

TOPICS
Android , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Adding to what kglad said...

Sign OUT of your Cloud account on computer A or B to be able to use on computer C

-via https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activate-deactivate-products.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can install on an unlimited number of computers.  the only (insignificant for internet connected computers) restriction is that you can sign-in to, at most, two computers at any one time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to what kglad said...

Sign OUT of your Cloud account on computer A or B to be able to use on computer C

-via https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activate-deactivate-products.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I would give that a go if it wasn't for the fact the surface kinda broke....... that being said it's an odd restriction for a 'use from anywhere' cloud based environment. Why is that step even needed, certainly with such a low count.

Ok so it's not a massive issue in it's own right, as you say it's pretty small, but lightroom cc just seems a series of little (or not so little) issues one after another after another after another. So many funnies, glitches,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree most graphic designers I know use more than 2 devices for work and it's very frustrating for my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, can you elaborate on how it affects your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, sure:

It's just frustrating that I have to go to my web account > deactivate > go

to my device > log in each time and then activate each plugin in my

photoshop CC (colorous, perspective plugin, and other because I have to do

that each time I relog) which takes around 10 minutes each day. Also, I

want to save my file and go to other department at work to show them my

problem or artwork > then I can't open it on my tablet without reloging to

all adobe cloud software and activating eveyrting. It's a time consuming

process and annoying one.

Also there's no way to just change the plan (I would really pay for an

option to expand my device limit) except buying a 'team' plan, or a second

private one which is quite absurd.

Regards,

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, I am sorry that you are regularly reaching your activation limit for your Creative Cloud membership.  Please contact our support team directly at Contact Customer Care  so that the limit can be increased.

For more individuals the options discussed in Activate and deactivate Adobe products allows them to deactivate all computers and then re-activate on the computers where the Creative Cloud applications are continued to be used.  There is no need to proactively manage the membership on http://www.adobe.com/ as the same process can be implemented if the activation limit is reached.

For future viewers please be aware that Creative Cloud memberships are designed for individual use.  You will be asked to discuss the workflow that is causing you to reach the activation limit to be granted an activation increase.  Activation increases are not designed to allow multiple individuals to use the same membership on multiple computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to Customer Care and they basically said that regardless of whether you have a single user, teams, or even just a single app and not the whole creative cloud, they will not allow more than 2 activations. They suggested I buy 2 subscriptions so that I can use more than 2 devices.

It would be great if they could get with the times and allow us to use multiple devices. Office 365 allows up to 5 devices, you just stay logged in on each device and everything syncs easily. That's what I hope we can get from Adobe.

Penny
Verge Laser ~~ cutting - engraving - signage - fmcg - prototyping - gifts - promotional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warning: you cannot run 2 subscriptions on the same ID to get 4 machines. You have to run 2 entirely different users. It may be impossible to share the libraries and work you need to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tim VL 

with a teams or enterprise subscription you can activate on multiple computers for multiple users at one time.  if you don't understand this or have been given contrary information, start here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq/teams.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad 

Teams costs almost twice as much as individual subscription, and then I would have to pay double again to have two teams accounts to allow access to 4 devices without having to sign in constantly. It is not affordable for a multitasking individual.

Also, as @Test Screen Name said, two separate user accounts will have different libraries so it makes syncing between devices more difficult.

Penny
Verge Laser ~~ cutting - engraving - signage - fmcg - prototyping - gifts - promotional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been having the same problem lately since last year around the time you commented, It's such a pain when you don't have service or you're not in the same room or building. I have 2 desktops one for modeling one for rendering, my laptop for on the go and mobile work when I get away from the office, and an iPad which I haven't even bothered to install CC on because it's pointless and I'm tired of having to constantly type in an email and password on my own devices where is should recognize me and my device constantly. If they could have that problem fixed where signing in and staying attached to that system even if you move to another one and sign in to that could solve so many irritations. I have 4 devices not to include my phone which is 5. Why can't I register all my devices? It's not like I'm using all of it simultaneously ?! considering how almost every other company even Autodesk does it this is by far the dumbest setup I've ever seen. As stated above in the last comment, get with the time's Adobe. This isn't 2001 anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the issue, from adobe's perspective: there's no way for adobe to check if it's really you activating on a particular computer or if it's your spouse, child, co-worker, best friend, neighbor, casual aquaintance etc.

so, the restriction has to be inconvenient enough that sharing with the above is less and less likely as you move from left to right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just it though, how does adobe think this is used? I have friends come over with projects all the time. and family who jump on from time to time like my nieces and nephews. it happens to EVERYONE.. that to me is just like a micro managing boss who can't stop breathing over your shoulder only it's being applied to the customer... if they want more customers stop micro managing lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then you should easily understand why adobe does what it does:  in your family, adobe would have no possibility to sell more than one subscription if it were easy for everyone to share one login/password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to buy more connected devices,,, i'm sure adobe could work that out? the hassle of 2 subs is not ideal, there has to be some other option? i dont really care if it cost the same as 2 subs, i'm looking for more convenience. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, you can connect as many mobile devices as you want; you are limited to two desktop computers active at a time. 

I currently have a Windows desktop and Mac laptop active, but I also have 4 mobile phones (3 iOS and 1 Android), 2 iPads and an AppleTV connected to the same account. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am considering adopting Lightroom Cloud.

I would be using it to consolidate photos accumulated on multiple PCs.

A 2-desktop PC active limit would not pose a problem.  From what I read above, it seems I could have a mobile phone and a tablet signed in, and still use up to 2 Windows desktops.  To switch to using Lightroom on a Windows laptop, then, I'd have to sign out one of the Windows desktops, but the mobile devices could remain signed in, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines