• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does lightroom mobile sync in the background?

Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I'm using LrC on my pc and LrM on my galaxy s22 ultra, which is brand new, so all of my 33,000 files have to be resynced. It is taking forever! It seems that the file count (currently at 2,800) only increases when LrM is open and the screen is on. That implies that it only syncs during that state.  Is that true? I would think it would sync in the background. Is there a way to make it continuosly sync?
TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are images synchronizing from LrC, LrC must remain open in order for that synchronization process to complete. I have attempted to close LrC in the past and have received a warning that synchronization is in process, asking if I want to continue. It is possible to close, but the synchronization process will not continue and complete until LrC is active on the computer again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, and i will check on that. I usually keep LrC open.

It's odd to me that the sync counter on LrM only increments when my phone screen is unlocked.  It seems that if i open LrM and watch the sync counter, it goes up.  But if my screen times out, when i come back sometime later the count is the same that it was when the screen timed out. That seems like a potential design flaw, and in my case it will take an enormous amount of time to sync 33K photos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I conclusively determined that the screen must be on for LrM to sync. It took a lot of effort to make the screen stay on that long (because it times out and that can't be stopped) but eventually I synced everything. I'm surprised that LrM acts this way.  I wonder if that is intentional or just an Android restriction? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered the same thing with my iPhone. When I am connected to WiFi, I open Lr on my phone and leave it open until everything completes syncing. I wish the upload worked in the background but it doesn't appear to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand computers and software, the only way to make a program function on a computer is to have that program open in the memory of the computer. If you close the program it is as if that program doesn't exist. Yes, it's installed on the computer hard drive, but it isn't loaded and active in computer memory. Therefore it's just basically sitting on the shelf waiting to be used. Why would you expect it to function? It's like a book sitting on the shelf. It has to be opened to be read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but there is a difference between the program being loaded in memory and the screen being active.  For example, phones download email and generate alarms and reminders when the screen is off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but there is a difference with apps on the phone. They can be dismissed on the phone and still be active. On the computer, LrC can be minimized to the system tray and still be functioning in the background. But if you close LrC it is removed from computer memory and is no longer functioning. It's like swiping to close all the open apps on the phone or turning off the power to the phone to close all apps that are open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree, and i am talking about the phone part of things. I also note that products like DropBox and OneDrive somehow sync without the screen being active and the app being loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I will have to apologize. I'm thinking more in terms of Lightroom Classic because that's what I use the most. I lose patience with the cloud version. I experiment with it a little, but do most of my work with LrC and don't do any work with Lightroom Mobile. Hopefully, someone with more experience with Lightroom and Lightroom Mobile can provide you with the insight you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just started using Lightroom Mobile on Android and like it a lot. I'm already an Adobe Photography Subscriber but only used Photoshop.  I'm very dissapointed Adobe apparently isn't smart enough to at least give the option of background mobile syncing which Amazon Photos (and others) have had forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines