Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Download full size RAW data for a hole album

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I just got my new Samsung Galaxy Tab s7 and I planned to work on the tablet as well as lightroom classic cc on the desktop. 

The problem I have is that from the moment I import the images into Lightroom Mobile on the tablet they are moved to the cloud. That would be fine but from that moment on Mobile uses the cloud flies only. 

I want to edit the full-size RAW and not the smart preview while I'm offline.

I turned the "only download smart-previews" option off.

The only way to store the original full-size file on the tablet is to open each file individually. 

Is there a way to download all full-size files from an entire album at once? 

Stay healthy, Sam

TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how I understand your situation! (I might be wrong!)

For Lightroom-Classic and Lightroom-Mobile versions you will need a subscription to the Photography Plan (20Gb)

When you Import (Add) camera files to the Samsung Device (running Lightroom-Mobile for Android) you will use the option-

"Store Locally - Select this option to locally store the photos contained in the album you are in."

Without personal experience I presume this means- "edit the full-size RAW ...while I'm offline." with the Samsung Galaxy.

Lightroom-Classic, when the SYNC option is turned on, will automatically download, from the Cloud, (a copy) of the Full-size raw files to the hard-drive where they will always be available to Edit in LrC at any time.

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/lightroom-cc/using/work-with-lightroom-mobile-android.html

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Wobert,

the way you explained it would also be the way I would understand the program. 

But the problem is that when you import images into Lightroom CC (on the Tablet or Desktop) the original file loads into the cloud. After that Lightroom Mobile always uses the file in the cloud even if it's on the device as a full size raw.

If you download an album in the Mobile version that only includes the Smart Preview. 

When you are connected to the internet and you open an image it will download the full-size file onto the tablet. 

My problem is that I cant open every image to get the original downloaded. 

The possibility to download the full-size file is there but is there a way to select an entire album and not each individual file. 

Stay healthy, Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sam, Sorry, but it's now above my knowledge, but just thinking along with you!

Perhaps I have been mis-understanding you (thinking of Editing- while offline)

Perhaps you will get more reasonable answers at the Feedback site-

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-mobile/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40875

In my iPhone I can select all photos in an Album and [Share] as 'Original' (but that is while mobile data is connected)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is that I cant open every image to get the original downloaded. 

The possibility to download the full-size file is there but is there a way to select an entire album and not each individual file. 

If you have unchecked the "Only Download Smart Previews" option, and then in the main album list you tap on the tri-dot icon for the album in question and enable the "Store Locally" option, that should download the originals for offline editing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I have liked three screenshots down below:

01: The album is locally stored on the tablet.

02: I turn the option "Only Download Smart Previews" off and as soon I open the image it will download the full-size file from the cloud. But only if I am connected to the internet and wait a few seconds.

03: I turn the option "Only Download Smart Previews" on and the only thing that changes is that I get asked if I would like to download the original. 

The album contains 242 Images and the download size is about 360mb... 

So no full-size files only if I would open each file individually and that cant be the answer...

Stay healthy, Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested it again. I had a couple of albums stored locally on my iPad as Smart Previews, so I unchecked the "Only Download Smart Previews" option and those two albums immediately went back into download mode (i.e. it started downloading the originals). However, when that finished and I started to load images from one of the albums I did indeed notice that the status changed from "Preview - uneditable", to "Loading Smart Preview", to then "Loading Original"....and it did indeed look like the original was being downloaded, but I don't think it was. I put the iPad into Airplane Mode, i.e. no online connection, then went back into LrMobile and started going through the images again. And the results were the same progression through Preview>Smart Preview>Original, but always ending up with the original loaded, i.e. the original IS already on the local device and is not being downloaded from the cloud.

Thinking about it, this makes some sense. I don't know if you've ever used Lightroom Classic, where all original images are stored locally. When an image is loaded into the Develop module there's an orderly progression....any existing smart preview (or ACR cache preview if there's no smart preview) is first loaded, and when that's done the edit controls become available, but while that takes place quite quickly the actual raw file is being converted in the background, and when it is finally converted it will replace the initial preview. But that is virtually undetectable by the user, the transition from smart preview/ACR cache preview to fully converted raw file is pretty seamless. And that's what I see on the iPad....the edit controls become available to the user as soon as the smart preview is loaded, whilst in the background the original file is still being converted. Eventually that conversion finishes, at which point the solid green checkmark appears on the cloud icon....but that's the only indicator that the underlying image that you are editing has been replaced by the preview of the fully converted image.

Try it youself....turn the iPad to airplane mode and then see if you can still get originals loaded when you try to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

fist of all thanks for your help. 🙂

The problem I think with what you are describing is that you probably opened the same file again. 

The original is in the cloud and you download a smart preview. 

If you are online and open the file it goes through the process you described (miniature-smart preview-original).

And this file is now stored on the device. 

Even if you go offline it will be available with a tiny loading time. 

But that would presuppose that I need to open every image after each other to get them onto my device. 

Maybe you could try to do the same procedure with a file you haven't opened until then.  

What I figured out is that if I Import the images directly onto the tablet the original is available. 

So that solves the problem with newly taken images. 

But I can't get old images that are originally in LRclassic as a full size file on my tablet. 

I tried reimporting them on the tablet but that led to a copy of every image in my LRclassic so that I have a copy of each newly imported file. 

Stay healthy, Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Sam, trust me I do know what I'm doing. But just to be certain for you I repeated the process with another album, after first verifying that only smart previews were stored locally on the iPad. After that, I switched the "Only Download Smart Previews" switch OFF, then selected "Store Locally" for the album (6 images, 280MB, so certainly NOT smart previews). Once the download was completed, I then turned Airplane Mode ON so no network connection was available for Lightroom, then opened LrMobile and tried to edit several of the images in that album. Without exception, all of them went through the process I described, i.e. the Store Locally download had indeed downloaded and stored the originals as expected. I do think, however, that the information messages around this process could be improved, so I will mention that to Adobe.

The point I'm trying to make is that the process of storing an album locally, when that Smart Preview setting is disabled, should indeed result in the originals (if they exist in the cloud) being stored on your iPad. Yes, there's a delay loading that original when you select one of the images, but it's NOT a delay caused by waiting for the file to download from the cloud, instead it's a delay caused by the original file having to be fully rendered....BUT the image IS available for you to work on once the initial Smart Preview load is completed, you do not have to wait until the original is fully loaded.

One comment: you mention the problem with "old images originally in LrClassic". You need to understand that LrClassic does NOT upload a copy of the originals when you sync them from Classic to the cloud, it only uploads Smart Previews. It's therefore impossible to get the originals of those onto your iPad unless you re-import them into one of the Lightroom apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim,

"I switched the "Only Download Smart Previews" switch OFF, then selected "Store Locally" for the album (6 images, 280MB, so certainly NOT smart previews"

That is so strange because I have tried it from every possible angle and if I turn it off nothing happens...

The files are in the cloud imported from the LRcc desktop version.

The only way to get them to download is to open them individually.

After that, they are stored on the tablet. 

But it is just not working with my Tab S7 like it is on the iPad... 

I don't get how this is possible... because the possibility to download them is obviously there...

And I know that Classic only syncs preview so I reimported them in CC but nothing changed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an album that is already stored locally, i.e. the album icon in the albums list has the blue circle with a down-pointing arrow on it, AND the "Only download Smart Previews" is UNCHECKED, that should indicate that the originals (if they exist in the cloud) have already been downloaded. You can confirm this easily enough with some simple maths, i.e. tap on the tri-dot icon for the album and then tap on the Clear Cache option. Don't worry, that won't do anything without a confirmation, but what it will do is produce a message that will tell you how much local storage will be released if you proceed with the Clear Cache command. So then you can do the maths....you know the number of images in the album, and we know that a smart preview will vary between 1 and 2MB in size, so multiplty the number of images by 2 to reach the largest size in MB of the total of the cached images if they are stored in Smart Preview form. The actual album cache size should be significantly bigger than that. If it is, it does likely mean that the images ARE stored locally as originals, but if it's not more then the store locally function isn't working correctly. In which case, try turning off the Store Locally option and then turn it back on again to force the originals to download. If that still doesn't work, use the Clear Cache command, after which you'll need to re-enable the Store Locally option to hopefully get the originals correctly downloaded.

I can't emphasise enough that even when originals ARE stored locally, you will always see the "Loading Original" message if you tap on the cloud icon after selecting one of the images. If you leave the cloud icon alone and just watch the behaviour of the icon you should see that there's a very brief showing of the spinning blue circle, which shows while the smart preview is being loaded. That spinning blue circle should quickly be replaced by the white (or very light grey) circle with a checkmark inside....that indicates that the smart preview is loaded, and at that point you can start working on the image, no need to wait for the next stage. You may then notice the moving dots on the cloud icon, which typically mean that there's some uploading/downloading action going on, but in this scenario it's also used to indicate that the original is still being rendered in the background. Eventually, that circle changes to a solid green colour with checkmark which indicates that the original is fully loaded.

Move on to another image, and that process should repeat. Move back to the first image, and again that same process should repeat, i.e. there's always a "loading original" period, even when the original is already stored locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

in my case checking the "only download smart previews" or not doesn't change anything. 

The cache always stays at around 40mb for 23 images, so smart previews only. 

If I go through the entire album image after image and let it download, it adds up to around 1gb.

So the option of storing them internally is given but only by opening them after each other.

When I have done that and they are on the device, I can handle them offline exactly the way you describe. 

I have Imported them in LightroomCC into the cloud and the tablet shows that, so the file is in the cloud.

But I tried deleting the cache of specific folders, clearing the entire cache, reinstalling the Mobile-App and reset the Tablet. But there is no change. 

The only thing that changes if I turn the "only download smart previews" off is that it automatically downloads the original when I open the image instead of asking me if it should download. 

But other than that there's no difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you said earlier that it's working fine on your iPad, but not on the S7 Tablet? So maybe the issue is specific to either the device type or the Android version of LrMobile. I do have an old Samsung phone lying around, so when I get time later I'll try the process on that Samsung phone (all my testing to date has been on iPad/iPhone, i.e. LrMobile for iOS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think the issue is with the Android version of LrMobile. I used the same album on my Samsung phone that I used when testing on iOS, and with "Only Download Smart Previews" disabled only 10.3MB of data was downloaded when I used the Store Locally option (compared with 260MB of data when downloading on iOS). As you say, checking or unchecking that option makes no difference. I'll report the problem to Adobe, hopefully they can fix it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jim,

thanks for your intense help with my problem...

If you have the same issue as I have, it's at least something that isn't specific to my device and so out of my control. 

I hope that adobe will figure that out at some point because I can't understand why there would be a difference between Android and IOS. 

So thank you for your help and have a nice time. 

I will write an answer as soon the problem is solved in the future so others can find it too.

Stay healthy, Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines