• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit in Photoshop not working properly

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused, because the Edit in Photoshop function does not seem to be working for me the way it used to.

I'm on macOS 11.6, Lightroom 5.0, Photoshop 23.0.0.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Select a photo in Lightroom and choose "Edit in Photoshop" 

2. Photoshop is launched automatically and the photo is opened

3. I make my edits

4. I select "save", and a save dialog window opens

5. I can save the file somewhere, but the edited photo does not appear anywhere in Lightroom

I have recently updated my computer and Adobe suite versions, and I feel like this differs from what I remember from previous workflows I had. I could have sworn that step #4 is different - I thought that when I saved my changes in Photoshop it would automatically update the photo in Lightroom, without asking me to choose a location. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there something wrong with my setup?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

I looked at your video again and I suddenly noticed something that may be the cause. Lightroom normally works with RGB files, but the file you are sending to and saving from Photoshop is greyscale. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Try again with a color photo and see if that behaves differently. If it does, then this may be a bug and should be reported in the Bugs section.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has no one else had this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having this issue currently. Was there ever a fix. I working with and HDR iamge stack and a flash shot blending them together. It is also not pulling them back into lightroom. Acutally, Sometiems it does pull it back in and sometims it doesnt. Takes significantly longer to edit things now. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps. Same thing. Any guesses? I also bought a new MacBook and dont know if that was the issue or if the issue was when i downloaded the apps it was the newest firmware and THAT is the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fix yet. Apparently, it was acknowledged as a bug again back in... February. But people have been discussing this in the forums since at least November of last year, if not earlier. Adobe moderators/employees have stopped responding to these threads. And multiple Photoshop/Lightroom updates have been released, with none of them addressing this issue. So frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not save the photo 'somewhere', but in the cloud.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer - however this makes no difference in my case. When I save the edits from photoshop to the cloud there is no update to the photo in Lightroom. 

Furthermore, am I wrong in thinking that this workflow is different from what it used to be? Previously I never had to choose a save location at all, locally or on the cloud, I could just "save" in Photoshop and the edited version would appear in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have finished editing in PS, the image needs to be closed in PS, not just saved. You can either save then close, or close first and it will ask that you save.....regardless, the Tiff does not return to Lr until it has been closed as well as saved in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your response.

However this doesn't seem to make a difference for me - when I save the edits in Photoshop (locally or on the cloud) and close Photoshop the edits never appear in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video showing the issue in action, starting with attempting to File->Save and save it locally, followed by attempting to close the file and save to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't understand from your video is why, when you use the "Save" command, PS initiates the "Save As" process instead. On my setup, when I use "Save" there is no dialog box at all, the Tiff is saved automatically (there's a save progress bar at the bottom of the screen), and it appears in Lightroom as soon as I close the saved image in PS.

I don't know PS well enough to figure this out, hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! that's the behaviour I would expect too, it certainly worked that way on my last computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this too. I wonder if there is some permissions issue on your computer or a poor internet connection that prevents Photoshop saving the image without asking for user intervention.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also thought it could be a permissions issue on your computer. I will dig in and try to see where my Mac is saving the temporary working files, which could be your issue. Will report back once I get a chance to try this out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses! 

I would be very surprised if it's an internet connection issue, speedtest shows my home connection to be 150dl/50ul with a ping of 11. I've also been doing this at work, which is a University so I imagine the connection is similar or possibly faster.

So perhaps some kind of permissions issue? That's intriguing. I can't remember what order I installed things in, there's a good chance I installed Lightroom first and then Photoshop some time after. Perhaps I should delete them both and re-install? I'm not sure what order to do that in though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've still not had any solution for this, anyone else running into this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at your video again and I suddenly noticed something that may be the cause. Lightroom normally works with RGB files, but the file you are sending to and saving from Photoshop is greyscale. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Try again with a color photo and see if that behaves differently. If it does, then this may be a bug and should be reported in the Bugs section.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh wow, ok, something of a breakthrough here: it seems like this is actually only happening with some photos! 

As you suggested, I checked to see if it was happening with color photos and sure enough it was editing and saving in Photoshop as I expected (not asking me for a save location, and updating the edits in Lightroom). Then, just to be double sure, I picked another B&W photo to try and it also worked! So, it turns out that this is happening for a handful of different photos, all of which were the ones that I was initially testing 😄 

I haven't yet worked out what it is that characterizes the photos that won't edit in Photoshop correctly, but if I figure it out I'll post here. 

Thanks for the clue, it really helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok after a little bit more sleuthing i think you're right - I believe that the behaviour gets all messed up when I attempt to edit a Greyscale image in Photoshop.

The confusing part is that when I scanned these negatives I must have accidentally saved some as greyscale and some as RGB, so even though they looked identical some of them were working correctly and some weren't! it's only when I pay attention to the file info on the tab in Photoshop that I noticed (as I think you did).

So, the question becomes: is it possible to convert Greyscale images to RGB in Lightroom before editing them in PS? or should I just re-import them as new files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't convert these images in Lightroom. You can export them as new tiff from Lightroom, that should make them RGB images (do not choose 'as original', but export as a new tiff). Or you can use Photoshop to do it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok got it, thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the exact same issue that the OP described, only in my case, it is with all images—color, B&W, RAW, JPEG, etc. 

What's more, the same thing is happening in my case that @Jim Wilde described: when I hit "Command-S" for save, it acts as if I am doing "Save As...": I see a dialog box asking me which compression options to choose, etc. This never happened before. 

Here is the process I'm following exactly:

1. Select image in Lightroom
  2. Choose File > Edit in Photoshop
  3. Perform edits in Photoshop
  4. Choose File > Save or "Command-S"
  5. Close the file

When I get back to LR, the image is nowhere to be found. However, I can open it again in Photoshop. It appears under the "Recent" heading on the Photoshop splash screen.

Any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue

Tried a few different photos from LR, Colour and BW same result. Open in PS fine but when try to save save (File > Save) in PS it gives two optiosn to save on computer or save in cloud, either way photo does not end up in LR

No issues when originating teh photo from LR Classic.

Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having exactly the same problem as you (PS doesn't give me options to save on computer or in cloud), but the general issue is the same—photos edited in PS are not appearing in LR after saving and closing. You might want to follow a new thread I posted on this last week. No solution yet, but an ACP has replied and is helping. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having a bit more luck for a while, but lately, it has started happening again. I just did 4 Photoshop round-trips from Lightroom, and each time the edited photo from Photoshop did not appear back in Lightroom after closing and saving. 

I can open the photo in Photoshop again from the Photoshop splash screen. It is being saved in a folder called "temporary edits". Also, even after closing the photo in Photoshop and returning to Lightroom, and then trying to quit Lightroom, I'm getting this message:

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 5.16.07 PM.png

It appears that Lightroom "knows" that it should be getting an edited photo back from Photoshop, but that isn't happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines