• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit in Photoshop sometimes fails to return image to Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the edit in photoshop function in lightroom the picture opens in photoshop and can be edited, but sometimes the edit is not imported into lightroom after saving and closing the photoshop document (progress bar "importing to lightroom" doesn't even show up). From what I can tell by now it appears to happen if the document is open for more than 10 or 20 minutes. This makes the bug even more frustrating as the edits are permanently lost and it only happens for complex edits.

Found on Macbook 14" M1 Pro running in ARM64 mode.

LR 5.0 / PS 23.0

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to make the "round trip" from Lightroom Classic or the cloud-based Lightroom? I ask because LR 5.0 refers to the cloud-based version.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the cloud LR 5.0 which was released just a couple of days ago... - and to PS 23.0 which was just released as well... and to make matters even worse I'm also on the new 14" macbook pro which was also released just a couple of days ago... Almost feel like a beta tester 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!! I'm extremely frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried reproducing this a couple of times now and can't get it to fail on my end.  If you can come up with repeatable instructions to do this, I would be interested in trying again.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I found a way of reproducing it:

I'm using a raw nef image from a Nikon Z5 (4016 x 6016 PX, 30.8 MB), my offline drive is disconnected (not sure if this makes a difference though) and I'm using a 14" macbook pro with M1 Pro chip running Mac OS 12.0.1.

LR version 5.0

PS version 23.0 

Both running in apple silicon mode.

1. Select Photo, right click and choose "Edit in Photoshop"
  2. In photoshop duplicate the background layer
  3. Add adjustment layer (I used hue/saturation)
  4. Duplicate background layer again and move it to top layer, rotate layer and reduce opacity
  5. Add adjustment layer (I used hue/saturation)
  6. Save using default tiff settings (ZIP compression, interleaved, IBM PC, RLE, pyramid disabled)
  7. Close document in PS
  8. Return to LR only to find the "import from photoshop" progress bar doesn't even appear and all "saved" changes have been lost

I also tried with no compression and macintosh instead of IBM PC encoding but doesn't make a difference. I don't know if it's somehow related to the total file size, I've found these kinds of images to be enormous when saved as PSD. Maybe there's a compression issue or something, but opening a raw image from LR in PS duplicating the background layer a couple of times and saving as PSD routinely returns the "PSD files cannot be larger than 2gb" error to me, but it's a 24mp image with a source size of 30mb. - just seems weird to me... I know PSD files are huge but this seems a bit excessive...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your steps as closely as I could and the image arrived back in Lightroom in under 4 seconds.

When you say: 

"Save using default tiff settings"
    Are you performing Save or Save As in PS?
    Also:
    Are you sure you don't have any filters involved? On my side I filtered for a big raw file so I could more closely duplicate your steps. When the file came back it wasn't visible because it no longer met the "raw" criteria.
    Re: PSD files - you should not be able to save as PSD in this operation - Tiff or nothing is the format. I am not sure what you are saying here. Not related but a 30 MB raw file turns easily into a 80 MB tiff. Each additional layer and each additional layer mask adds ~80 mb also.  With Panos and Upressed photos it is easy to reach 2 GB. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a 14" macbook pro?

I'm doing save using cmd-s and am confronted with a screen I have not seen in previous versions of PS (see attachment).

I'm sure there are no filters involved as it works perfectly when doing less edits in PS and the edited img is imported into LR immediately. I've also just tested opening the image and just duplicating the background layer 3 times and drawing something with a brush. - image was imported. Appearently the adjustment layers have some sort of impact. But I'm pretty sure it has also happened without any adjustment layers in place.

Regarding the file size, agreed, but this literally happened to me with a 24mp picture I upscaled using the lightroom super-res feature. I've now got a PSD with a size of 1 GB and a resolution of 12032 x 8032 PX containing only a single layer. I don't know but something just seems off about this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem using the new MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro. 

it seems to me that the first time I do an edit in Photoshop, the photo will return to LR. If I then do another edit in PS, different image, then the problem occurs. I can't reproduce the problem reliably but the problem reliably returns. 

my workaround is to open the Lightroom package, and retrieve the PS file from the "temporaryedits" folder 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has this been acknowledged as a problem? This is happening 95% of the time for me now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines