Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Edit not syncing between two Windows PCs

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some weeks I have been suffering a repeated problems between two Win11 PCs (Desktop and laptop) both running Lightroom Desktop. What happens is that I edit a batch of images (.CR2 Canon images) on (say) the desktop. Later I review them on the laptop and maybe decide to tweak an image a little more. More and more often, I am presented with "Waiting for settings. This photo is missing updated settings from <name of desktop PC> at <date and time>. Open Lightroom on that device to have edits synced". Sometimes it's the other way round - desktop PC is waiting for edits on laptop.

This will happen even if I have the two PCs next to each other, both with LR running and on the same network. If I (for example) change the rating of an affected image on one PC with both copies of LR running, that change will be synced to the other PC in a minute or two - it works in either direction. However, for that image the edit settings will never be synced again. The only solution I have found is to delete the image, then permanently delete it, on both devices (the deletion will not be synced), then re-import the CR2 and start all over again with it.

I have tried uninstalling Lightroom on both PCs, then removing all traces from the AppData folders and the registry before reinstalling. I always check to ensure syncing is complete before exiting Lightroom. In any case, though, I can see syncing is happening in real time, because changes to flags and ratings are synced almost immediately. Edit settings are not.

I have reached the stage where I only edit using the desktop PC, because I know what will happen if I start using the laptop - it may work for a few images, but soon I will waste an hour of my time getting an image synced. This makes a nonsense of the Adobe Cloud system. Please - what is going on here?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be really interested to know whether anyone connected with Adobe has any comment on this problem. It has just happened again. Foolishly, last night I made some changes to an image on my laptop. I made quite sure everything was synced before closing Lightroom. I checked the image in the online version of Lightroom - the new edits were there. This morning I opened Lightroom on my Desktop and went to have a look at that image, and there it is - "Waiting for settings . . .". I can't do anything with it (the "Reset" option doesn't do anything). I can see the image in the online version of Lightroom, complete with the edits I made last night, but I cannot see it on my PC.

What is going wrong here? I have been using LR Desktop for years - this issue has only cropped up in the past couple of months,

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the response that I've just made in this similar thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-discussions/can-t-edit-photo-in-light...

I'd be interesting to know if my "workaround" works for you as well.

BTW, having your two systems sat next to each other on the same LAN doesn't really matter. Apps/devices do not sync directly with each other, all syncing between them is always done via the Adobe cloud servers. I will often have Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop running at the same time on the same system, but all syncing between them still goes up to the cloud and back down again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I take your point about syncing going via the cloud, my reason for having the two devices side-by-side was to confirm that some data syncs promptly (e.g. ratings) and some doesn't (e.g. image edits). I have also tried this exercise with a browser window open on Lightroom Online, and I see the same issues.

Thanks too for the link to the other thread, which I had not seen. It seems that the problem lies with Adobe and not with us. If Adobe acknowledged the issue here and offered an update it would be helpful.

I have managed to get the image I edited yesterday to sync by making a change online, which synced to my desktop PC - but my laptop then displayed "Waiting . . .". Finally, making a further edit on my desktop PC got it to sync to the laptop. I don't think this is how the cloud is supposed to work.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is how the cloud is supposed to work.

Agree with that! But I also think that Adobe would agree as well. As I said in the other thread, I know they are working on the problem(s), but it's clearly challenging to pin down all the potential circumstances that can lead to the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sure you are right, my irritation at wasting yet more of my time with the problem this morning was showing. In my defence, had Adobe responded with "Known problem, we're working on it", I wouldn't have put myself in a position to get bitten by the bug again. I'll stick to one PC for editing now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines