Exit

feedback on failure to export images on desktop

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello my name is Vlad!

I recently tried for the first time Adobe Lightroom and ran into a problem:

I imported a folder (with a name) from my desktop into Lightroom and once the images uploaded into the library module I made the mistake to put in the trash the folder and emptied the trash  but a couple days later when I tried to export the images back into the desktop via a folder through Lightroom I ran into some snags.  For example if I clicked on an image(s) and select them I would get a message such as "Source file(s) are online or missing. Another issue is when I want to export as Catalog all the images shown in the library module I am then asked to save as (to create a new name for the folder) and hit Export however I get a message telling me Lightroom was able to successfully export some of the photos to the new catalog but encountered these problems: "Photos could not be found" showing the list of the titled images.  Last but not least is when I look under Folders I see the name of the original folder that I had imported initially into Lightroom showing all the images displayed in the library module and I am told that this folder contains 50 images and if I want to remove the folder the photos will be removed from the Lightroomcatalog but the folder and files will remain on disk.  But what is the disk?  The hard drive or a disk?  I'd appreciate some feedback.  Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From you description I suspect you are using Lightroom-CLASSIC (or a 'old' perpetual version)

So you 'Deleted' your photos from the Desktop.

So the error messages you see are to be expected- You have deleted the files from the Hard-Drive (a Disk!).

"Source file(s) are offline or missing."

"Photos could not be found"

The Catalog only contains small Previews of your photos. You still need the original camera files available to Lightroom-Classic.

You will need to restore the original files from the Camera card, or the Backup of the original files. You have made backups of the camera files, haven't you?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Than you for your prompt reply!

Well the images were negatives (not digital files in a memory card ) that I scanned, 82 of them and were placed in titled folder but put the folder in the trash after the upload into Lightroom and emptied the trash a couple days later with other data I didn't need anymore.  Too bad I did that but I understand from what you mentioned that it was data lost from the hard drive or disk!

Thank you for your help!  I may have more questions in the future regarding Lightroom. I am quite new at it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not the first 'newbie' to mistakenly delete the original files (be they from a camera, or scans).

You must keep the 'original' scans (TIFFs, JPGs,?) in a folder on your hard-drive that Lightroom-Classic makes a reference to. The images you see in the LrC interface are only temporary Previews. Your files are never 'saved' or 'stored' IN Lightroom!

A suggestion is to read the free Lightroom-Classic eBook from the Lightroom Queen- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/

If you do not want to scan the negs again, there is a method to 'extract' smaller files from the Catalog Previews- (You will be limited to the size and quality of the images to then edit.)

EXTRACT JPGs FROM PREVIEWS

Extract JPGs from Previews Plugin

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you again for your feedback!

Yes, definitely I will be careful and not make that mistake again!  I actually was able to download the lost images from a web hosting platform where I posted a few weeks ago back on the desktop (no loss of image quality).

Thank you for your cooperation and will keep you posted on progress I make with Lightroom.  I am excited by the capabilities of this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines