Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

get rid of the halo around the sun

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B62DD00D-02B7-47CD-B92C-1706AA8E29CE.jpeg

 

Hey guys. I was trying to find a solution in LR or PS to get rid of the orange halo ring around the sun.  It was quite foggy day.

The sun was bright. I already use a gnd.

I tried the internet and cannot find any solution.  Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an extremely wide dynamic range, and I don't think you can completely get rid of that Halo. You could drop the exposure a little bit, perhaps. But my suggestion would be to enjoy the image for what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also asked in the PS forum. Here's what I replied:

I can tell you why it's happening. It's overexposed, and the red channel is severly clipped:

sun_clipping.png

When one channel hard clips like this, a sudden change in color/saturation is inevitable.

First of all, see how much you can retrieve in the Develop module in Lightroom. However, I strongly suspect this is sensor saturation and there's nothing left to recover. That's a lot of photons for the sensor to digest...

It can be repaired in Photoshop, but it's a manual repair. You may be able to use the channel mixer to take some of the green channel information into the red channel, and limit it to the high end where the clipping occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what you want to achieve some painting may be necessary. 

Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 12.38.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Thanks a lot.

Do you mind sharing how to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created a Layer Mask for the sky (minus ths sun) and painted in a Layer with a noise Pattern Overlay set to the Blend Mode »Linear Light« in a Group. 

Below that sky-Group I added another masked Group with a Curves and a Hue/Adjustment Layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell you why it's happening. It's overexposed, and the red channel is severly clipped:

sun_clipping.png

When one channel hard clips like this, a sudden change in color/saturation is inevitable.

First of all, see how much you can retrieve in the Develop module in Lightroom. However, I strongly suspect this is sensor saturation and there's nothing left to recover. That's a lot of photons for the sensor to digest...

It can be repaired in Photoshop, but it's a manual repair. You may be able to use the channel mixer to take some of the green channel information into the red channel, and limit it to the high end where the clipping occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. a lot.  I will try to study more about the histogram during shooting and processing.

It was quite hard to deal with this kind of shooting environment.

The sun was so strong that I knew it will be over exposed when taking the shot.  I scarified it and tried to preserve ground details.  I considered hdr but don’t think it will give me the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines