• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support additional flavors (non iOS) of HEIC, HIF, HEVC for Import

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe get with the program.  I tried importing *.HIF files today from my EOS R5 and Lightroom Classic doesn't even show them in the import window.  They can't be imported.  I can import iPhone *.HEIF files but not from the EOS R5.  Adobe's lack of support for import and export of *.HEIF files is pathetic

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Updates to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html 

(May 2023): FIXED  Sony HIF File Issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sony-hif-images-reading-image-and-writing-metadata-error/idi-p/13770782 

(April 2023) Preliminary Support for DSLR flavors of HIF files (Import and Sync) was added to LrD and LrC 

(Dec 2022): See the updated doc: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html in section "Working with HDR Output" for updates on preli

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 172 Replies 172
172 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This feature request was incorrectly marked as Implemented. Adobe has clarified that LR supports only HEIF/.heic files created by iOS devices:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html

-JRE]

HEIF FILE FORMAT: Please make sure to get file support ready asap, the new Canon 1DX 3 will be pumping out 1000's of .heif files by the Olympics!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what? No CR3 Files for RAW? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you suggesting that pro sports shooters will be shooting raw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIF is currently supported for Import in Lightroom. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it converts heif to jpg which defeats the object of heif correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong. Lightroom does not convert any image type.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIF files (from iPhone for example) are imported as HEIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So they're imported as HEIF and can they be saved out as HEIF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they can't be exported as (edited) HEIF. Just like you can't export raw files as (edited) raw. When you export images you have the same choice in file formats as with any other imported image.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is exactly what I'm asking for, the option to save into heif format.
Browsers now have the option to open heif files so why not be able to take advantage of the smaller (lossless) file size of the heif in our daily use going forward?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a different request than 'support' for HEIC, and is not limited to images that are imported as HEIC. Exporting in HEIC would mean you could also export a raw image in HEIC format, for example. This was already requested earlier, so go here and add your vote: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-cc-support-for-exporting-no...
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done.

Once a popular camera like the Canon 1DX3 starts shipping, the demand for working in heif  format is going to skyrocket in my opinion. And I think other camera manufacturers will soon follow suit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider adding your voice to this thread. Make sure you click the [Vote] button too.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-cc-support-for-exporting-no...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 1DX3 is going to cost over US$6000. Its a niche model for a small professional market.

HEIF is gaining traction because of millions of iPhones and iPads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk: any movement on exporting as HEIF/HEIC from Lightroom? I know, the Olympics are canceled, but we may still save the WNBA season! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just reading the DPReview article: "How HDR display could change your photography forever".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do anyone know if import of .hif (HEIF) files into Lighroom and Lightroom Classic from Canon R5/R6 cameras is supported or not supported (yet)? I cant't get it working in Lightroom from my Canon R6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The HEIC image format are supported on latest versions of Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop on both macOS and Windows.

If you're on macOS, ensure that HEIC support is enabled in Adobe Camera Raw:

In the Camera Raw Preferences dialog box, ensure that the JPEG/HEIC field is set to either Automatically open JPEGs and HEICs with settings or Automatically open all supported JPEGs and HEICs. To access Camera Raw Preferences, click the Open Preferences Dialog button 

For more details please refer this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html#heic-image-files 

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash

Thank you for answering, but my question was not about the support of the format. My question was about support for importing .hif files from Canon R5/R6 cameras through USD or cardreader. My Lr and LRC is not not seeing the files on my card. Lr and LrC see the .jpg files but NOT the .hif files although the are there. Lots of them actually. I have to convert them to .jpg if I want to import them. 

I have no problem importing and editing the HEIC files from my iPhone 11 Pro in Lr and LrC.

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sharing a couple sample files with us that you are not able to import? We will try to replicate the issue at our end.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Please PM me how to do it. I am om your list for testing prereleases of Lighroom C. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check with the product engineers and update you accordingly. 

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just did a job with my wonderful new R6, came back and the new .HIF format is not taking kindly to LR CC version 3.4 

What do I do now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got my wonderful new Canon R6, took it on a job --- now I can't get the images into LR.  I downloaded Adobe DNG converter as instructed by someone else --- it won't ope these files either.  Needless to say, I am a little upset at this.  Can anyone assist?  TIA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Canon user looking for an answer here from Adobe. I shot several photos in HEIF format on my R5. The files are saved to the card with a .HIF filename extension. Lightroom Classic (build 202008061458) does not recognize this extension and will not import the files.

If I rename the files to .HEIC, then lightroom will recognize the file, display a thumbnail "preview not available", and then fail to import the file (opens the error dialog window). If I rename the files to .HEIF, I get the same behavior as .HIF

Votes

Translate

Translate