How can I move my lightroom edit data to a new adobe account?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

For the past few years I have been at school and been able to make use of the free adobe Lightroom software that they provide. I now relise that my email will soon be deleted and I'll be cut off from this software. Obviously I'll be investing in my own private account but the problem is that I have 4 years worth of editting data that I don't know how to transfer. I have the raw Images but I need to know if it's possible to transfer my lightroom edits to a new account. I have backed it all up on the Adobe cloud but it still is under my school eamil so am I able to get round this?

Thank you.

TOPICS
iPadOS, macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a pity that Adobe don't provide a nice simple method for doing that, but they don't. There is the Adobe Lightroom Downloader utility which in theory allows you to download the entire contents of your current cloud account, complete with edits, which then allows you to import the downloaded files to your new account (which means they all have to be uploaded to the new cloud account). The problem with the Downloader is that it has a few serious gremlins, so I can't recommend that method.

The unconventional way is to use the relatively new collaborative sharing feature. You do it this way:

1. Login into your NEW Adobe account, then launch either the Lightroom Desktop app or the Lightroom Web app, doesn't matter which one.

2. Create a new empty album, then set it to share. Use the "Invite only" option, enter the email address of your OLD Adobe account, and set the Settings to all enabled, and the share option type to "Can Contribute", then send the invitation.

3. Login to your OLD Adobe account, pick up the email invitation and accept it.

4. Then launch either Lightroom Desktop or Lightroom Web, where you should see that new album appearing in the Shared>Shared with You section.

5. You can now add ALL the images from the old account to that new album. Wait until that has been processed (i.e. syncing stops), close Lightroom. That process ADDS all those images to the album owned by the NEW account, so the new account holder can do what they like with them. Because the images are already on the Adobe servers, they are simply copied from one server to another without having to download and re-upload them.

6. Log back into the NEW account, start Lightroom Desktop or Lightroom Web and you should now see the entire contents of the OLD account, complete with edits, in your new account.

There are variations on that. Depending on how many images you are dealing with, and how they were organised, it might be a bit unwieldy suddenly having them all appear in one single album.....so you could break it down and move the images album by album. But the constant logging in and out and moving images out of the new album before adding another set, might be a bit tiresome. Personally, I would just add an album-specfic keyword to each image in each album using the OLD account, then transfer all the images in one hit, then use those album-specific keywortds to recreate the album organisation in the new account.

You could try it on a small subset of images, just so that you get the hang of it. The key is getting the share settings for the new album setup correctly, if you help sorting that out let us know.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines