• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I copy folders in Lightroom Desktop?

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder with four sub folders each having about seven more sub folders and each folder having about 7 albums as I split photographs from a trip into countries cities and acivities in Lightroom CC. I want to copy the folders to make a version of the photos not containing certain photographs and keep the original but doing this manually is about 5 hours or more work. Why is there not an easy way to copy folders in Lightroom CC? Is there something I'm missing?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot copy folders (as far as I know).

Even if you are manually performing this by dragging photos into the new Albums, then unless you are using Duplicate/Make a Copy on each photo (or whatever the most recent term is) then you would just be creating another 'alias' of what was in the initial Album and All Photos.

Thus, any edits perfomed on one would be replicated on the other (I presume) aw they are the same file.

Have you tried the Versions feature which allows you have different versions of onr photo:

https://lightroomkillertips.com/using-versions-in-lightroom-cloud/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any edits on the photos. I've never tried Lightroom classic before only Lightroom CC. Can I migrate data into Lightroom Classic, copy the folders then migrate them back? I have about 200 albums that need copied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, when you mentioned 'version of the photo' I assumed you wanted different edits of the same photo in different folders and albums.

Can you expand on your workflow as I don't quite follow. I understand the folder hierarchy, but not "make a version of the photos not containing certain photographs and keep the original". 

Just to confirm, is it just a case of splitting and sorting the photos and doesn't involve edits?

For now, if you haven't used Lightroom Classic, then it may be best to not introduce it yet. Using the two applications together can be quite convoluted and although some do, it normally requires a bit of experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make a copy of a folder on Lightroom CC as this folder contains around 28 other folders and 200 albums and I don't want to create this folder heirachy manually as this will take hours. Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No unfortunately not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can make copies of folders in the same spot they are in and then drag them to another folder:  Folder1 > Duplicate collection> Folder1 Copy.  then drag it to the desired location and rename without the "Copy".  Still tedious but doable.  Unfortunately you cant do it in bulk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines