• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I import photos already on my Mac to Lightroom catalog without copying them?

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a new Lightroom CC user. All my photos are already organized on my Mac in folders (year/month/day) within the "pictures" folder. How do I get Lightroom to add them to the catalog without importing them (i.e., without duplicating the photo on my computer)?

Jay 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Lightroom stores the images in the cloud, not on the computer, so eventually there won't be duplicates. It does make temporary copies however before the images are uploaded, and those copies are not immediately deleted again when the upload has been successful. This is something you cannot avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom stores the images in the cloud, not on the computer, so eventually there won't be duplicates. It does make temporary copies however before the images are uploaded, and those copies are not immediately deleted again when the upload has been successful. This is something you cannot avoid.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you may want to use Lightroom Classic instead of Lightroom. Lightroom uploads your images to a cloud server. Lightroom Classic leaves them in the local folders where you have already organized them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines