• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How many versions of lightroom is there?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using lightroom 4.1 or about a month now. I have been googling and youtubing lots of how to videos and articles and I have noticed many features I do not have (or see). For example, split toning and range mask. The other (and important to me) is the before and after when using the gradient tool. I can only see the before and after for all settings together.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not mix up Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, since these are seperate programs.

Lightroom (currently in version 4.1) is storing all your photos to the Adobe cloud.

Lightroom Classic (currently in version 10.1) is storing photos locally and uses a catalog (database for all metadata).

Lightroom Classic is much longer on the market and has some features not available in Lightroom.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is lightroom classic going away? No matter how much I search (including Adobe site) all results take me to the cloud version. I did eventually find the classic version but took some effort.
Thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic is still very much alive and in the portfolio of Adobe Products. It is a little confusing, though, since (1) the current version of Lightroom Classic is a subscription model activation only, and (2) the "Classic" version of the program used to just be called Lightroom, and then later Lightroom CC, so there are a ton of videos and tutorials on the "classic" version that just call the program "Lightroom" or "Lightroom CC," because that's what it was called when the video was created...

It's going to be worse soon, as many people are hanging on to their very old versions of Lightroom 5 and Lightroom 6, while the newer cloud-based Lightroom is currently up to version 4.1. I can foresee the confusion increasing later this year when the cloud-based modern Lightroom goes to version5...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I just saw a video describing the main differences. To me it seems that Lightroom 4.1 is more geared for those more mobile users, taking pictures and uploading to social media.

I personally like to have control over where my files are stored and so switching from Lightroom CC to Lightroom Classic is the best option for me.

Adobe should just change their name. Lightroom Classic to Just Lightroom and Lightroom CC to Lightroom Lite.

Here is the link to the video if anyone else would like to see the main differences.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html#vi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There were lengthy discussions about the naming. And believe me, most of us here, dealing with other users were everything but happy with the multiple name changing and reusing old names for new products - it's a total mess.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines