• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change LR edit in PS file format?

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using LR 5.2 on Mac. I can't find how to change the LR external editing (e.g., edit in PS) file format. In LR classic I was able to change the external editing preference to either TIFF or PSD. The default in LR now is TIFF. Is there a way to select PSD?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is. But remember that TIF is just as good as PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I also noticed in the LR mobile version on the iPad, the format from LR to PS is PSD. So, I will have different formats depnding if I'm using LR on the Mac (while at home) or iPad (while on travel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @john beardsworth , that's a controvers discussion. During one of that Adobe shows/events in 2017 or 2018 (can't remember the year), Aaron Nace (Phlearn) edited in TIFF and got advice that PSD is better from the Adobe guy sitting next to him. Can't find the video on YouTube, too long ago, but I can remember quite exactly because until this day I was also using TIFF, but switched then to PSD.

In the Lightroom preferences I couldn't find a possibility to change it, there is no "External Editing" tab.

In LrC, you can - PSD no longer opened in Ps recommended - add LrC tweakings also to the PSD file.

Lr looks kinda crippled Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't change this indeed. Tiff can store everything that psd can and is more compatible and standard. psd is a proprietary Adobe format that can be more efficient for opening in Photoshop but also is less well documented and not as compatible. In most cases, you should use tiff so it being the default in Lightroom Cloudy makes sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines