• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit photos in Lightroom using both Apple and Windows devices

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the Community's help with figuring out how to edit Apple-formatted files on both an iMac and a Windows Surface using an existing Apple-formatted (HFS+) external hard drive (and picture files). 

I currently do all of my photography editing work using Lightroom on my Apple desktop (2016 iMac, MacOS 10.15 Catalina (soon moving to Big Sur)). My "active" picture files (for editing, etc.) are stored on a LaCie external drive formatted for Apple's HFS+ file system.

I also have a Microsoft Surface running Windows 10 (64-bit), which I would like to use for mobile/travel editing. Ideally, I could just bring my LaCie HD with me on a trip, plug it into my Surface, and then work in Lightroom to organize and edit using the Surface. If I could also transfer new files from SD card to the external HD while keeping the HFS+ file format, even better.

I understand Windows uses a different file system than Apple, so I can't just plug-and-play natively without doing something else. In an ideal world, I would not have to reformat my external HD or reclassify my existing picture files (into ExFAT or something else) nor rely on a Cloud service, but I'd like to get all your ideas and their pros/cons. I've also heard of options like "HFS+ for Windows" by Paragon, but I'm not familiar with if/how well the soft works with the Adobe suite for the purpose of photo editing.

Any and all ideas, anecdotes, experiences are welcome, helpful, and appreciated. Pros and cons are also valuable to help me evaluate the trade-offs and what might work best for me.

Thanks,

Matt

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?