Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How to get a pleasing grain effect

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, sorry if it's not. But I've been trying to add grain to my landscape shots but can't get it to look authentic or pleasing. I think this shot has got what I'm looking for, I'm just not sure if it's acheived in-camera or in Lightroom using a process/preset/technique I don't know yet:

1.jpg

TOPICS
How to, Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A "pleasing" grain effect is very subjective and open to interpretation. Grain can be used to simulate photographic film looks, or to add an artistic effect, or to make a photo look aged, or to disguise noise, or a number of other purposes. What are you trying to achieve with adding grain? It will help us if we better understand your vision and goal.

Next, please let us know some details about your image - pixel dimensions, file type, etc. Please also tell us what settings you are using for adding grain, as the settings will vary depending on file size and resolution.

Also, grain is hard to see in a reduced size image as you posted; it would be good to post a small patch of your image at 100% zoom level to help us see what you're seeing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines