Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to rename photo

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Is there the possibility to change the file name of a photo? If I edit many times in PS the file name became XXXXXXX-edit-edit-edit-edit............. and it's quite bad!

Thanks in advance

Gianluca

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Download from the cloud, rename, and the upload back to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Save as

Or if it is closed, rename it in Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok sorry I didn't explain it well!

I mean rename the file present on the cloud.

info.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the answer to be no.

In my experience, you have to export the file, use Adobe Bridge to rename then reimport.

Regards

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

g.boselli  wrote

Ok sorry I didn't explain it well!

I mean rename the file present on the cloud.

You can't. There is no way to rename files on the cloud without jumping through hoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes no sense.  All my photos are named DSC ####.  I can't find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download from the cloud, rename, and the upload back to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There IS a way to rename your photos in LR Mobile... kind of.  It will solve your issue of not being able to find the images you want, will work for batch renaming and it's easy and straight forward.

The trick is to us the Caption Title field in LR Mobile.  Select the photos you want to rename and modify the Title fields with the filename you want.  For instance, I rename my photos using a Brief Description - Sequence Number", something like "20220528 - Ottawa Tulip Festival - 001" (dont't worry about the date here, I'll get to that in a minute). Unfortunately you can't use a sequence number in Title, but that's a minor issue.  Now, when you search all of your images for pictures of the Ottawa Tulip Festival LR Mobile will find these images.  You can also search by date since that's already recorded in the metadata.

The best part is, when you get back to your desktop and LR Classic, you can create a Filename Template (press F2 and selct Edit) and use the metadata field "Title" to rename the selected files.  My template looks like "{Date (YYYYMMDD)>> - {Title} - {Sequence # (001)>>}, resulting in the filename 20220528 - Ottawa Tulip Festival - 001.  The sequence number will automatically increase by 1 for each subsequent image in the group you're renaming.

This solves searching LR Mobile for the pictures you want and makes renaming all your files in Lightroom Classic completely automatic.

Pleas let me know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines