Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set the same aspect ratio on a group of images by padding

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm looking for a way in Lightroom to set the same aspect ratio on several images. And for those images that need to be adjusted, I'd like them to be padded rather than cropped.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

If you have it, Lightroom Classic can do this fairly easily from the Print module.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you intend to "pad" them with? If you want them all the same aspect ratio, it seems to me that your only alternative is to crop out some of the unwanted part of the image. It's rather difficult to add or pad image data to an image unless you want to copy it to Photoshop and increase the canvas size and then copy part of the image to the blank canvas area. But that isn't something you would be able to do with just Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my intention is to pad them with a solid color. The goal is to lose as little of the original images. Would I have to switch to photoshop to achieve something like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That is something that Lightroom cannot do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have it, Lightroom Classic can do this fairly easily from the Print module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I'd better start thinking outside the box. Hadn't thought about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have access to LR classic. I'll go ahead and take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to achieve what I wanted by using the lightroom classic print module. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A shortcoming of this solution is that we lose the image filenames.  Padding needs to be added to Export where the filenames can be retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines