• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If lightroom classic is set to automatically write changes to xmp, does it also save them in the dng

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot only raw images and convert to dng on import to Lightroom. My catalog settings have "automatically write changes into xmp" turned on. Will the changes also be written to the dng file, or are they only saved in the dng file if the catalog setting to automatically write changes to xmp is turned off?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

>I'm using Lightroom Classic latest version (10.2), does that change anything you said?

No it is the same in 10.2. I had just answered a question on Lightroom 6 and still had that in mind. My mistake. The answer is exactly the same

>Is it correct that all edits to a file are stored in the catalog in all cases?

Yes. Lightroom Classic stores all edits in the catalog file. When you use xmp files, those are just a backup of the edits. The main storage is in the catalog.

>You are saying that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 will write the changes into the dng ONLY if the "automatically write changes into xmp" is turned on. Normally settings are only stored in the catalog file and only when you enable the setting will a copy of your settings be stored in xmp files or inside dng, jpeg, tiff, and psd files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I want to make sure I'm absolutely clear on this:

• I'm using Lightroom Classic latest version (10.2), does that change anything you said?
  • Is it correct that all edits to a file are stored in the catalog in all cases?
  • You are saying that if the "automatically write changes into xmp" is turned off, the changes will be written only to the catalog, and not to either the DNG or xmp file. Is that a correct understanding?
  • If "automatically write changes into xmp" is turned on, then the edits will be stored in the DNG file, the XMP file, and the catalog. Is that a correct understanding?

Thanks for your help with this. I've poured through Adobe documentation and tried getting support from their online chat, but never found a clear answer to these questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I'm using Lightroom Classic latest version (10.2), does that change anything you said?

No it is the same in 10.2. I had just answered a question on Lightroom 6 and still had that in mind. My mistake. The answer is exactly the same

>Is it correct that all edits to a file are stored in the catalog in all cases?

Yes. Lightroom Classic stores all edits in the catalog file. When you use xmp files, those are just a backup of the edits. The main storage is in the catalog.

>You are saying that if the "automatically write changes into xmp" is turned off, the changes will be written only to the catalog, and not to either the DNG or xmp file. Is that a correct understanding?

Yes that is correct. The setting is only there to provide a backup of the develop settings and other metadata. They are always stored in the catalog

>If "automatically write changes into xmp" is turned on, then the edits will be stored in the DNG file, the XMP file, and the catalog. Is that a correct understanding?

Yes. With the caveat that for dng files no xmp file will be created. The xmp data is stored inside the dng file. You only get xmp files for proprietary raw files such as NEF for nikon cameras. In all cases, all settings are stored in the catalog. You only should do the automatic xmp writing if you need those as a backup. In most cases you shouldn't do this as it does slow down editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is a super clear and detailed explanation, I appreciate your thoughtfulness and care. I have not been able to find this information anywhere else. Great answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also save raw to dng on import. 

i was expecting by default the changes settings etc are saved in the DNG file. 

i copied (not exported) a DNG from one computer to another. When I imported into Lightroom Classic on new MacBook the adjustments etc didn't carry over. ?

Just to be sure if I check the box save "automatically write changes into xmp" if a do the same copy (not export) changes will be carried over. 

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check the automatically write changes thing, the edits of the main copy of your image in Classic (not of any virtual copies) will be written into dng files indeed and should transfer over if you copy the file. The embedded preview in the dng file will not be updated so you will only see the updates in Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Only exporting and Importing into LR Classic only worked for me. I've only just turned that switch on so maybe ok on new projects? I did run "Update DNG Preview and Metadata" on all the files I prvioslt brough over befor I tried export option. That didnt work so maybe that's something else. 

When I XnViewMP on my MAC it did show thats even the copied files had XMP embedded. 

Anyway I'll do a bit more digging, would be nice just to goto the Original Network Source Computer and just copy the files to my Laptop with the embedded changes.

I thought possibly the DNG would also have the History Data Embedded in the file but didn't.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking the box "automatically write changes into xmp" will not immediately cause XMP to be written out for all of your images.

Only, new changes that you make hereafter will - as they happen - prompt that action to be done. And that will involve writing out all the settings, not just the particular adjustment or metadata which has been newly changed.

You can tell LrC to externally write XMP any time on-demand, though. The easiest way is: highlight images, press Ctrl+S (Cmd+S). That "automatically write XMP" checkbox simply saves you the trouble of doing this; results are identical.

A couple of comments: the XMP written out by Lightroom can teach Bridge and ACR everything they know, but NOT everything that Lightroom knows. That leaves out virtual organisation such as Collection membership / custom sort order / stacking, the whole existence of any virtual copies or proofing copies and their edits, prior editing History, and some LrC specific workflow matters such as Pick / Reject flag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, this works quite well for what I was trying to do in my workflow. Now I think its achievable to network the DNG files between my Desktop Computer and My MacBook and keep them synced? Withough Exporting / Importimng which is a pain...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Be aware of what Richard London indicated above, not everything you do in Lightroom Classic is written to XMP so that will not keep your Catalogs in sync on your two Computers.

Quote from Richard ""A couple of comments: the XMP written out by Lightroom can teach Bridge and ACR everything they know, but NOT everything that Lightroom knows. That leaves out virtual organisation such as Collection membership / custom sort order / stacking, the whole existence of any virtual copies or proofing copies and their edits, prior editing History, and some LrC specific workflow matters such as Pick / ""

Another thought while you work with Lightroom Classic as far as Lightroom is concerned the info is contained in the Catalog file, that is the default for its operation.

Writing info to XMP is a secondary function, in addition Lightroom does not automatically read from the file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines