Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import confusion - help!

Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really struggling to get to grips with Lightroom and woud value greatly a little help. 

Whe I first started Lightroom, I started a large import (from a NAS drive). This quickly filled my hard driave and cloud space, which brought the process to its knees. I hanged the prefeences setting in Lightoom so the storage location is on a NAS, and paused synching with the cloud. Alas, several hours later, after Lightroom had checked countless photos, the import failed again. 

I would like to wipe my Adobe cloud and delete any preferences on my Mac so I am starting afresh. deleting and reinstalling Lightroom does not wipe the prefwr3ences, so the import starts afresh and then fails, again. I cannot find a way to wipe the cloud. 

Any and all advice for tghis novice will be much appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can clear all photos from the Cloud by eithe selecting all and deleting in Lightroom or visiting http://lightroom.adobe.com/ and 

under your account info selecting Delete Lightroom Library.

When performing an import, Lightroom makes another copy locally within the Catalog on the HD before it uploads to the Cloud. This is what causes the lack of disc space as the local (unseen) Catalog is always full. 

However, if  you perform the import in batches and wait for the files to upload to the Cloud then Lightroom should purge some of these when the next import is performed.

Also you could probably free up a bit more spears by setting the amount of Originals that Lightroom keeps locally by setting this to a lower percentage in the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Huge thanks for this - much appreciated.

I spent three hours (!) with Adobe support yesterday and the issue was simply that cloud storage was full. It seems too incredible for such a mature product not to be able to report in advance of an import that there is insufficient cloud space to complete the process or give a meaningful message when the import fails.

After starting afresh (all photos in the cloud deleted and the catalogue files on the internal hard drive removed), I was able to pause the sync to the cloud and import 50,000+ photos without issue. I can now clean up my library before deciding if I wish to sync to the cloud and ensuring there is sufficient cloud space purchased for this process to complete.

Many wasted hours, alas, but a good outcome. I cannot fault the quality of Adobe’s support - the guy helping me was patient and supportive, knowledgeable and willing to wait whilst an initial import completed successfully.

All best, Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines