• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import vs Synchronising between LR & PS - are they the same process?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can anybody tell me the differences and similarities between syncing and importing into lr?

I'm using LR5. I usually use the import route for RAW files, taking them from SD card into LR, they are saved on a hard-drive. I usually use LR for most edits but quite often go on to do further pp in PS, saving the files as PSD and for the web as JPGs. I save the finished images (as PSD and JPG) in a different location to the RAW files, but I do include them in my LR catalogue for ease of viewing, keywording, etc. As I already have a file structure set up for the finished files I tend to just use the sync folder option in LR to add the PSD & JPGs to the catalogue.

I've noticed recently that when I view these files in LR they are noticeably different to how they look when opened in PS - particularly their saturation, tone, brightness, etc. After a bit of fiddling around I found that by using the 'reset' button in LR develop module this would bring the photo back to how it looks in PS. So presumably there are some develop pre-sets being applied to the image when i'm syncing the folder which need to be reset to the default LR develop settings - easy enough to do, but just curious as to where LR is getting these "import" settings from as I would've thought that synchronising the folder would simply link the image file to the catalogue without any kind of editing going on. Is that not the case?

Any advice much appreciated,

Thanks

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Import and Folder Sync are basically the same process, although Folder Sync is targetted solely at the specified folder, and also does a few other things as well (checking for missing files, etc.). When you initiate a folder sync, there's an option to "Show the Import Dialog", so it would be helpful to you to do that the next time you sync a folder. When the import dialog opens, check the "Apply During Import" panel on the right-hand side to see if you have a Develop Setting included. If you do,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import and Folder Sync are basically the same process, although Folder Sync is targetted solely at the specified folder, and also does a few other things as well (checking for missing files, etc.). When you initiate a folder sync, there's an option to "Show the Import Dialog", so it would be helpful to you to do that the next time you sync a folder. When the import dialog opens, check the "Apply During Import" panel on the right-hand side to see if you have a Develop Setting included. If you do, set that option to None, that should resolve the issue.

If there are no Develop Settings being applied, however, check the Preferences>Presets tab to make sure the "Apply auto tone adjustments" is NOT checked in the Default Develop Settings section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brill thank you Jim, thats sorted it out perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines