• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Apple Photos to LR *without* Photos.app

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem: The standard "how to import Apple Photos to Lightroom" guide calls for you to select "Download All Originals" in Photos > Preferences before migrating. I learned this from LinkedIn Learning's Richard Harrington ... who then immediately followed that with, "I'm not going to do that here because I'm on a laptop."

Well, I'm on a laptop too! And I don't have 61GB free to download all my originals from iCloud.

So let's say I export the originals to a folder on an external drive and then hoover them into Lightroom. Is any metadata or anything else going to be left behind? I guess I will have to re-rotate my images, won't I? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

I've not done this in a mass production way (since I used LR before I had a Mac), but I've never had a problem with photo rotation when I export originals from the Photos app. Exporting the original will give you the standard metadata like camera, lens, exposure, date/time, gps data if available, etc. You would lose any association with specific albums or favorites.

Instead of exporting all your photos at once, experiment with a few suspect photos and see what you get. Then you can adjust your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not done this in a mass production way (since I used LR before I had a Mac), but I've never had a problem with photo rotation when I export originals from the Photos app. Exporting the original will give you the standard metadata like camera, lens, exposure, date/time, gps data if available, etc. You would lose any association with specific albums or favorites.

Instead of exporting all your photos at once, experiment with a few suspect photos and see what you get. Then you can adjust your process accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great, worked like a charm.

There is so much metadata to manage and I've been worried — for that reason — about taking it out of Photos. Then I realized I've been using Adobe apps longer than iWork apps ............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines