• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing images from external drive

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I import thousands of images from an external drive with out duplicating them? 

Thanks, 

Don M. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, let us know which Version, and Number, of Lightroom that you are using.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I am using Version 4.0

# 2020 1007-0818-b2c04b4 Build

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't avoid them being (initially) duplicated. When importing images into Lightroom, from whatever source, the program initially copies the files into it's own designated location (default is the system drive, but this can be changed in Preferences to a different drive). From that point Lightroom has no interest or involvement with the original input files (so you are free to delete them yourself if needed). It's from that designated location that the images are then synced up to the cloud. Once synced, the local copy becomes eligible for removal, though that is done under some complex rules....which means it can take a long while before they are automatically deleted. They can, however, be deleted manually by the user....though of course it's vital to make sure they have safely been uploaded to the cloud before deleting them. 

Personally, I've got my designated location set to an external drive with lots of free space, so I'm quite happy leaving any locally stored originals there. It's also worth mentioning that Lightroom also downloads a copy of the original when you start to edit it, which helps with performance....another reason why I don't mess with the local contents of my designated folder . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines