• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Impossible to store originals on a NAS Volume

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly cannot recall from which Lightroom version it stopped working (maybe 4.3), but now every time I open Lightroom CC I am presented with this warning message stating that my NAS Volume is disconnected, when indeed Volume is mounted and correctly working.
dandooze_0-1630251183631.png

If I then go back to the app preferences and select the same Volume, the software starts a process of "Checking your files" that never really starts, as is stuck on 0 of 5k pictures and doesn't move. 

My only way to have it working is to delete the Lightroom library file in user/pictures and at the following start Lightroom checks all the files again. Once is finished, I can close and reopen the app with no issue within the same session. The following day, I am back to square one. 

I have only 5k pictures of my Adobe cloud archive at the moment, and I was planning to slowly add my whole collection but this is simply not an acceptable workflow in the long run. 

Am I doing something wrong? Is the NAS option not really a reliable option?

Any clue or tips would be really appreciated

My system

• My Lightroom version is the latest available 4.4, but I had the same issues with the 4.3
  • I was using a Macbook Pro, now I am using a Mac Mini M1, a different machine, same issues.
  • My NAS is a Synology DS220, quite a recent model and always updated and physically connected to the router

Alessandro

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never tried a NAS with Lr. With Classic, NAS has always been very problamatic for the catelog, and occasionally questionable even for images.

I would suggest eliminating the NAS.

Also, note: you can depend on Lr to manage the cache locally of images. I have a nice high speed connection at home, so on my laptop which I really use for software development, only has a 512MB SSD; my online cataloge is over 700GB and 24K images. It downloads and maintains what I need on the fly using only about 100GB.

While my desktop, is setup to keep local copies of everything with a couple TB of space; it has the room.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timothy, thanks for your reply
I am aware of the local cache and it's indeed enough for the files I need to work on.
My point for having a NAS is that if one day I decide to stop paying for the Cloud backup I already have all my files locally in a RAID set-up. (Not to mention if anything goes wrong with Adobe servers for some reason, which can always happen...). This is also the reason why I prefer a NAS over a local machine storage: redundancy.

Alessandro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a NAS (Synology) as the local storage depot in Lightroom Desktop (4.4) with no issues. 

Make sure you are mounting the NAS via SMB rather than AFP. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk, and thanks for your message.
The NAS volume is mounted via SMB and at log-in.
I see no reason why it should not work. 

Alessandro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rikk,

I too am using a nas with a mac using LR succesfully, and have for the last 3 years, but our tech support mounted it via AFP which is now giving problems due to Apple OS updates. (Apple discontinuing development of AFP)

I can succesfully change  all shares to SMB, with the "enhanced features for MacOS" enabled.

My issue now is how do I make the change in Lightroom. Does this mean I have to connect to a new location, even if we only changed the file sharing prototocol and not the actual file/share? Do you know of a way to do this while maintainging the current catalog and all its collections?

Thanks!

Malou in Alaska

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines