• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPhone 12 Pro telephoto won’t focus

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, no matter what I do I can't get the telephoto to focus remotely close to the minimum focus distance that's possible with the standard camera app. No matter what I try I can't get focus where I can in the standard app. I have to move the camera very far back for it to focus using telephoto in Lightroom which defeats the purpose. Wide and Ultrawide lenses are fine, it's just the telephoto that won't focus.

iOS version 14.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Can you share how close you are to the subject you're trying to photograph with the Tele lens?  Specific inches or centimeters would help, if you can share such details.

The Lightroom camera uses platform (device and OS) APIs.  If you compare Lightroom Mobile's Tele lens capture by using the LR Camera Manual Focus adjustment slider in Pro mode, set to 1%, you are seeing what the platform provide as the minimum focal distance to our app.  In the native camera, Apple appears to be doing some magic and cropping an image from the 1x lens though you have the Tele lens applied.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response

I am 4-5 inches away from the subject, when I use the manual slider in pro mode set to 1% and everything inbetween I'm still unable to get the same minimum focus distance.

Interesting, any idea how to get around this? I can't get any closer to the subject I want to photograph and the regular wide lens is just too far away.

thanks again for the speedy reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least for now, the LR camera is using the physical Tele lens and the minimum focal length for that lens provided by the platform.  Since focal length is important, can you capture this with the native camera?  

If Raw capture is important, in iOS Settings > Camera > Formats > Photo Capture, enable Apple ProRaw

Then in the native camera, enable Raw again, and capture your photo.  Import them from the camera roll into LR, and you will see it imported as a DNG.  Again, this is probably a 1X lens capture with some crop and image processing applied, saved out as a 12 mp image.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, that makes sense. Yes I can capture with the native camera, I guess I'll have to deal with some cropping regardless until I get my DSLR back. 
Not surprised at Apple pulling something like this, thanks again for all your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines