• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Irregular lens metadata

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I search for photos taken by a particular lens, I get different names for the same lens. For instance, when I search for the Fuji 18-55, I get both "Fujifilm XF18-55..." and "XF 18-55...." I get different names for the same lens even on the same body.

Any idea what is happening and how to fix it?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can fix this. Different cameras write different metadata, even for the same lens. Software may also play a part. Lightroom simply uses those metadata.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's may be true but I'm getting the lens inconsistency even on the same body. The exif lens data is the same using a third party reader. The inconsistency is just in the Lightroom catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens data are written to more than one field. Maybe that other reader is using another field that happens to be consistent, while Lightroom is reading a field that isn't. Like I said, Lightroom simply reads the data that the camera wrote. You would need a utility that can change these, Lightroom can't change it. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I found if I deleted the photos from my library and re-imported them, the minority where the "Fujifilm" prefix was absent get imported with the "Fujifilm" prefix.

I was on the internet in the old days too where everyone just responded with "RTFM." So I get it. Any quirk is part of an intelligent design, and it's always the user's fault. And most of the time it probably is, but there is some quirk probably from an old version of Lightroom. Just leaving this here in case other people have the same issue and are called crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to know that this (sometimes) fixes the problem. In case somebody reads this and wants to do the same, please note that deleting an image and then importing it again will reset all edits and wipe all added metadata like keywords!

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines