• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue when trying to update LR version CC 2015.14.

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fall I attempted to update my LR CC 2015.14.   I don't recall exactly how I updated it, but remember getting the prompts from Adobe that it was time and following the links.  When the update was complete, I opened the LR symbol on my start up window (my operating system is Windows 10) and now the version on computer is LR version 4.1.   I've been told that this isn't the same one.  I don't know which one is LR classic and which isn't.  But LR version 4.1 doesn't look like my old version and contains none of my files.  I can no longer find my original version by going into the Start menu.  I have to do a search for .lrcat to find my old files and work from there.    

I've tried going into my old LR CC 2015.14, then Help, then Updates.  It just tells me that all my Adobe files are updated.  

Can someone please tell me how to update LR CC 2015.14 specifically so that all my files are still there and it exists in my Start menu?  

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop using that version. Lightroom CC 2015.14 is a very old version of what is now called Lightroom Classic. Upgrade to Lightroom Classic. You paid for that through your subscription!

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you pay a regular subscription fee to Adobe for the Photography Plan?

Do you have the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App installed and running? (It controls ALL installs & licencing)

Is your Operating System compatible with current versions? ! Lightroom-CLASSIC System requirements 

Without these, your LR CC2015.14 is the same as v6.14 (the 'end of life' standalone version), and you will not be able to upgrade to Lightroom-Classic v10.1.1

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do have a paid subscription for Adobe, comaptible Operating System, and below is a screenshot when I open my Adobe Creative Cloud app.  It says that Lightroom Classic is up to date.  When I click open, it takes me the version I've been working on that is Lightroom version: CC 2015.14 [ 1149743 ].  So I try going into the other Lightroom listed below (without the blue square around the Lr) but that is the version I have not used and none of my info is in it.  

I've gone into my Lightroom version: CC 2015.14 [ 1149743 ], then System, then Updates, and it takes me to the screenshot you see below.  When I hover my mouse over Lightroom Classic it says that it is Verion 6.0, but when I click "Open" it just takes me to the old version. 

Christine5D61_0-1610822223099.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please 'Open' Lightroom and post a screen shot of the report you get from the Lightroom top MENU: Help > System Info.

Insert it in your reply post by clicking on the 'Landscape' icon above you reply. (Do not attach).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

56434BED-5489-489E-BEBE-6E7CEABE558A.jpeg

(Personal account information removed by Moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you go back to the Creative Cloud desktop app again (as per your first screenshot), then on the Lightroom Classic entry click on the three-dot icon to the right of the "Open" button. A small menu will appear, one of the entries should be "Other Versions". Click on that, then post a screenshot of the resulting display.

Also, scroll further down the Creative Cloud app to the "Available in your subscription" section to see if there's an entry for "Lightroom Classic" but which has a different icon (the icon would have rounded corners, and shows LrC in the centre).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim thank you for your response. 

I think you have uncovered and explained my issue.  I do see an entry for "Lightroom Classic" with the icon with rounded corners and LrC.  

In addition here is the screen shot from my Creative Cloud.

So at this point do you recommend I just install the new icon version of LrC?  Will my current catalogs/photos come over in the new version?   

Thank you!  

CreativeCloud.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you want to update from 2015.14 you should install the current version of Lightroom Classic (10.1.1). When you launch it after it's installed, it should automatically detect your current catalog and offer to upgrade it (the upgraded version does not overwrite your current catalog, it will create a new catalog with the same name plus a "-v10" extension. Once the new catalog has been created and opened, check the Preferences>General Tab to make sure the Default Catalog is not set to open the previous LR2015.14 catalog. If it is, change it to the new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim I just wanted to thank you so much for your patience and walking me through my particular situation.   I had spent hours watching tutorials and trying to find the info I needed but couldn't figure out what to do.   I've updated and am now using LrC and it's working great.   I just wanted to double check one thing.  I went into Preferences- General Tab as you mentioned above.  Now the default catalog is "Load most recent catalog" which is assuming what I want, correct?  LRPreferences.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a different Jim, but yes, that is generally the best choice to make. If you have other catalogs, the first time you try to use them you will be prompted to upgrade each of those catalogs. The process will be the same as it was on your main catalog, and you will have new copies created for each of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a slightly different take on the question. The potential problem with "Load most recent catalog" is that if you happen to need to open a backup catalog for some reason, then close LrC without first re-opening the prime catalog, you will end up using that backup catalog every time you re-launch LrC. That has the potential to be a loss of work issue, but even worse it can be a loss of catalog issue....over the years we have come across such situations where a user is blithly running from a backup catalog for a long time, then one day decides to do some house-keeping on the backup catalogs folder and ends of trashing the catalog that they had been unknowingly using. 

It's fine once the user is aware of this potential, and remembers to re-open their prime catalog after working with a backup catalog, but it's really not the option to use if the user uses multiple catalogs (in such a situation, using the "Always Prompt Me" option is more sensible, which is what I always use).

But an alternative "Load most recent" for a single catalog user would be to specify the specific catalog currently being used, i.e. the new V10 catalog. The only thing to remember with that option is that the preferences will need to be changed whenever there's a catalog update done, which creates a new version. However, that one is perhaps more easily detected and dealt with, and does not have the same potential for disaster that "Load most recent" has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But an alternative "Load most recent" for a single catalog user would be to specify the specific catalog currently being used, i.e. the new V10 catalog. The only thing to remember with that option is that the preferences will need to be changed whenever there's a catalog update done, which creates a new version. However, that one is perhaps more easily detected and dealt with, and does not have the same potential for disaster that "Load most recent" has."

Jim, if I'm not mistaken that potential problem has been solved already. AFAIK, if Lightroom upgrades the catalog, it will also upgrade the path to the catalog if you have set a preferred catalog in the preferenes.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read through the suggestions above.  Not sure what AFAIK means in Johan's Reply above.  But to be on the safe side, I'm assuming that I should be requesting to use -v10.lrcat in my Preferences.   I don't forsee me using my old catalog version to make updates, but choosing -v10 should keep it always opening the newest version and avoiding the problems you mention above, correct? 

LRPreferences2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, the way you have it set now should be fine.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines