• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just updated to Big Sur and now MAJOR lag in Lightroom Perpetual 6

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my iMac to Big Sur and instantly Lightoom is horrible. I cannot edit like this. It lags going from image to image, it lags showing slider bar changes, syncing batch changes.. EVERYTHING lags. I cannot proper edit my clients images when I can't even see the changes as I'm sliding/making changes.

Please help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 is not really compatible with Big Sur. People have gotten it to work but not fully as you are discovering. If you want to stay with LR 6, only solution is to run an earlier operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is quite a bummer because I paid for my application in full, but I don't really recieve the same support as the monthly paid users. Is there a newer perpetual version of Lr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there is no longer any perpetual version and LR 6 hasn't been supported for quite a while and hasn't been updated in a long time so no longer runs reliably on current operating systems. You can only get current versions of Lightroom (now called Lightroom Classic) through a subscription. Unfortunately it is extremely hard to downgrade your operating system without wiping the computer completely and it is very hard to reinstall LR 6 from scratch as you can't get any installers from Adobe anymore so only way to stay with a perpetual Lightroom version is to stay at the older operating systems and to not update anything which indeed is a problem from a security standpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever you do, don't uninstall expecting to reinstall it hoping to make a difference. The installer is 32-bit, and Big Sur will not run it. Lightroom 6 is at the end of its life. Use it as it is while you can.

Lightroom 6 was the last perpetual license version. Lightroom Classic is the next step, and it is subscription only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are a professional photographer then it seems to me that you owe it to yourself and to your clients to be the best you can be. Lightroom 6 doesn't provide neearly the arsenal that the lateest Lightroom Classic offers. You are cheating yourself and your clients by trying to stay with such obbsolete software. My opinion, and it isn't worth much.

OTOH, From what I have been reading Big Sur users seem to be having performance problems in general with Lighttroom Classic. I cannot speak from experience because I use Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a professional photographer and I can no longer edit in Lightroom on my iMac as it takes me 5-10 times the amount of time to edit each image (on a 10-core, 128GB iMac, top-of-range graphics!). I am going to have to look at alternatives. Capture One seems to the the best option for me I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This comment feels a bit unfair. I am a professional, for 15 years now part time, and have many happy and returning clients year after year. Maybe it speaks volumes that I'm able to produce quality work with less tools. 

The issue is Adobe selling products that they won't continue to support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They stopped selling it years ago and even publicly announced no longer supporting Lightroom 6 with updates in 2017: https://www.dpreview.com/news/5525938279/adobe-has-released-the-final-standalone-version-of-lightroo... .  This is why you can't download any updaters for Lightroom 6 at all from Adobe.

Hardly a surprise it won't work well on an operating system that was released only a few months ago. Unfortunately due to fact that you have to keep updating your operating system to avoid being an open target for hackers you also need to keep updating software. Not really a way around that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change all the complaints in this thread so that instead of saying '6' it says '10.3' then the issues still exists. 

It's lazy to suggest that older products are incompatible. The new products are also not working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They work just fine for me. I do a lot of very heavy work in Classic and it is fast and efficient with several 100's of thousands of images from high megapixel cameras on my 2018 Mac Book Pro. Also works fine on the M1 mac book air (base model) that I tried it on. Lightroom 6 is simply not compatible with Big Sur so that is a COMPLETELY different problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct - I have no issues on my Macbook Pro (2018), just my iMac (which should be around 4 times more powerful).

The latest, greatest version simply does not work. But I have just got adobe to admit the issue and they have at least given me credit for the last few months

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's good to hear. Must be some specific bad interaction of their code with the drivers for the GPU in the iMac.  Annoying for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have had this problem for a few months now. I bought the latest iMac, upgraded to the max, and now cannot use Lightroom for my business. Editing, especially any local adjustments like brushing lag so much it's unusable. 

I have spent hours on calls wiht Adobe engineers who all do the same things - change cache value, change profiles etc etc. I am an ex-software architect and can state that they have no clue what they are doing! It's absolutely infuriating. 

Adobe also claim that there is no issue!!!

My MacBook Pro from 2017 is absoltely fine, so it's related to iMac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nickchurch are you using Lightroom 6? It is just not compatible with the latest mac os X as it is way too old and there really is nothing you can do in that case except upgrade to Lightroom Classic (with associated cost unfortunately). If you are on Classic and are fully updated (v 10.3 came out yesterday) you should start a new thread and we can try to help you. Make sure to post exact software versions and hardware info. There is no reason why Classic on your iMac should be slow. If you call Adobe, there is approximately zero chance you will speak to an engineer. These are all just customer reps that work from scripts they call up on their screen based on your query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree totally with you. There is NO reason why LR 'should' be slow with my iMac, but yet it's unusable. I am on LR 10.3.

Adjustment brushes lag badly... to the point that it cannot be used. I even paid £400 extra for the upgraded graphics when building my iMac which makes the whole thing a joke. 

I already have two threads, unresolved, about my specific issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines