• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Leica lightroom raw default camera settings not working?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My M11 is set to black and white. When I choose "Camera Settings" for RAW Default in Lightroom mobile preferences, images are imported without camera settings applied. Is this by design -- am I missing something here? This also appears to be the case when using an M10.

Any insight into this is appreciated.

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply the camera settings preset does it apply the correct black and white profile? It's possible that your camera is not supported for the camera settings mechanism. Only a few (mostly Canonykon ones) are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, stays as color. 
I'm surprised by the lack of support for M cameras. Even Apple Photos app supports it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does APple Photos actually read the camera settings? I would be flabbergasted as it doesn't do that for any camera. Most likely it just shows you the jpeg preview from the raw file and not the actual raw data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to read it. When I import the RAW file into Photos, the file shows "as shot" ( black & white in my case) with the RAW data still intact. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that camera settings are in proprietary fields that only the camera maker's software knows how to read. Adobe has figured out (read reverse engineered) these settings for a number of cameras and Nikon with their newest cameras actually embeds Lightroom settings in the raw files but this is limited to a few cameras only and cameras from companies like Nikon that chose to add this sort of extra metadata for Lightroom and camera raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had several Fuji cameras that appeared to be supported, hence my surprise Leica is not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and Leica is supported clearly. It renders the raw data just fine. It just can't interpret the rendering tags set by the camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a black and white M10 raw file online and Photos renders it as a color image: https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/6037658348/leica-m10-real-world-samples/3147389255 

Same in preview. 

This is true for all such cameras. Very few apps can read these kinds of tags in raw files. It's really only the camera makers' own apps and the files from the three major brands in Adobe software. Sometimes software might fool you by showing the jpeg preview instead of the rendered raw data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yah, I'm sure. But I'm betting native format for Leica being DNG helps. That's why seeing Apple's Photos app render the RAW image correctly (camera settings) has me scratching my head a little.

... and I'm certain its not a JPG render of the RAW file. The file says RAW on it and it exports from Photos as RAW. And after the export the icon preview in macOS still retains the camera settings (B&W).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What if you export to jpeg from photos? All the M10 files I can find (can't find any M11 black and white ones) that were shot as black and white, show in color in Photos and preview and export in color. Can you share a file that does this? Just exporting as raw from photos simply copies the original so no surprise it keeps the same preview. As far as I know Photos, when using raw files, cannot read camera settings from any camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines