Really need some help... apologies if this is a bit loing, I'll try to be quick:
1. My old macbook suffered liquid damage and can no longer be accessed
2. Most of my pictures were saved on a NAS, LR Catalogue from LR6 was also backed up on a NAS
3. New Macbook can't run LR6 (this would be the best fix, but LR6 simply won't open)
4. In absence of LR6 I upgraded to LR CC, v4.2
5. Am using an external 2TB HD to act as the host for migration files as SSD on Macbook is not big enough
6. Catalogue on NAS migration is taking insane amount of time, literally crazy, circa 2% in a 2 days. Catalogue is circa 1TB so nothing crazy.
7. Issue might be the read / write speed between NAS and Macbook, but nothing I can do about it!
One potential solution / workaround... I have all my photos backed up on a secondary external HD. Is it possible to add all my photos to a new LR catalogue via that wired connection (much quicker), and then change the location back to my NAS once they are imported? If I do this will I keep the integrity of the catalogue (i.e. adjustments and tags etc).
As you can probably tell I'm rather lost! Any help will be much appreciated.
Let's deal with the obvious question first: did you specifically choose to use the cloud-centric Lightroom (it's not called Lightroom CC) rather than Lightroom Classic (which is the updated version of the Lightroom 6 that you were using)? Obviously using Classic is a much simpler transition than trying to migrate to a different platform entirely.
It would help to know that, as we don't want to get into a lengthy conversation about the best way to migrate everything to the cloud if that's not really what you wanted to do.
Hi Jim, ummm, in a word, "no". Would Lightroom Classic fix all these problems then??? If so, you're an absolute life saver!
Well, using Classic would be just like using LR6 (only with a lot more features), whereas with Lightroom you'd need to go through the catalog migration process which is doable but you'd probably need a fair bit of external storage initially (and best to avoid using the NAS until you've finished the migration and uploaded all the data to the cloud...which is going to take a fair while).
If you want to use Classic, to need to:
1) Install it via the Creative Cloud desktop app.
2) Make sure the LR6 catalog is in the location you want it to be (SSD is best, NAS can't be used).
3) Start LrClassic by double-clicking on the LR6 catalog (the .lrcat file). It will need to upgrade the catalog to version10, which will be stored in the same folder.
4) Depending on where you've put the images on the new system you may need to update the new Classic catalog with the current location of the images. If that's an issue, see this: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/
Hi Jim, I'm all up and running... infinitely easier and massive thanks to you for the simplest yet best possible advice. Virtual beer heading your way - thanks!