• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom android editing tools greyed out for edited photos

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi so as I titled I wanted to re-edit my photo and everything was unable until I downloaded it again, there is this exclamation mark then I downloaded and all good BUT! What if I was on the go without internet? The original unedited photo was still on the same device available so I tried to reimport but it said "skipped importing duplicate" so I cannot download without internet but cannot reimport as well. Not good. Any advice? I should delete it from my library and import again I guess. Still could be something better and easier. Thanks. 

TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a subscription (that stores the original in the Cloud) the device may automatically discard an editable file (original or smart preview) to save space, whilst retaining the original in the Cloud.

If you want edit when travelling without internet then it's advisable to Store the Album locally by selecting the three dots next to the Album.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

So TBH this is very confusing to me.

First:

"If you have a subscription (that stores the original in the Cloud) the device may automatically discard an editable file (original or smart preview) to save space, whilst retaining the original in the Cloud." - I thought the cloud is for backup and or multi device availability support meanwhile it stores in the device as well by default, for me this would be the normal or at least an option to be able to choose so. 

"If you want edit when travelling without internet then it's advisable to Store the Album locally by selecting the three dots next to the Album." - I don't have albums on my phone just the imported photos (imported from the same device where every original is still in the phone).

I guess the easy thing is to delete the original and reimport but then I loose the previous editing or rename the original and than reimport it. Either way  I guess it supposed to be much easier. 

For example:

- Be able to select store LR data always on the device

-Be able to choose if I want to have a dupplicate copy. 

BTW off topic: I wish LR mobile would have the same "create virtual copy" option as the pc version. I know it has some "variants" version of that but in this case I cannot see the actual copies among the overall photos so I dont even know which one has variants.

Anyway, thanks. 

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

If you have a subscription (unsure if you do?), then Lightroom Mobile automatically manages the space it takes up on your device (to prevent using up too much device storage).

The Cloud isn't a back up, it is the Master Catalog of the full res files once they are synced there.

The satellite clients, Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom Desktop use space saving functions (knowing that the master files are in the cloud) retaining for instance, recently imported and edited files at high res whilst using proxies for files that haven't been accessed for a while. (Actually, Lightroom Desktop does have the function to save your whole catalog locally also, this is mainly use for quicker access to each photo and for offline use).

Lightroom Mobile doesn't have this function presumably due to the smaller storage on most mobile devices, it does have the function to Store Albums locally though. It may be advisable to try creating an Album of photos that you want to work on with offline and Store this locally.

If you have the free version then the photos should be editable anyway (unless maybe they may have synced to a cloud in trial mode or something).

You can't create virtual copies in Lightroom Mobile, the closest thing is the Verisions feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answer. All you said make sense in a way I just may have a different approach. I have a sub for the LR mobile thats why I faced this issue I guess. I was just surprised it only stores in the cloud and i cannot change that just onaly to unsync but then no cloud storing anymore. My phone has a huge storage anyway. 

But thank you again I guess I willl just make albums then.

Take care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines