• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC display issues on second screen

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom CC on Windows 10 and having issues with Lightroom CC and Classic on the external monitor. The display issue is different, depending on which screen I open it on, but no matter which way I do it, there are problems. Thanks in advance for your help, I'm going crazy.

I have done some troubleshooting (below) and I have been trying to get support from Adobe for over a week, but they keep telling me someone will contact me and they never do (I've literally been on chat for over 3 hours today just trying to get a call scheduled). They have indicated this is a common problem for LR as it scales differently than the rest of the suite.

Running Lightroom on Windows 10 on HP Spectre 13", 4k resolution. Connected via display cable to Dell Monitor, 2k resolution. See below for screenshots of what's happening. System info at the end for reference.

Troubleshooting so far

In addition to checking the monitor settings and scaling, I have adjusted the high DPI settings and each change makes it worse.

I have done each of:

[X] Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:

• Application: When I did this, the application looked ok on the external monitor, at first. But the cursor was tiny on the laptop and images blurry on both.
  • System: When I did this, the images were not clear and on the laptop, the image floated as tiny weird little icon and I couldn't interact with it.
  • System (enhanced): When I did this, the menu items were even larger than without adjustments.

Scenario 1

I open the application on the laptop, and move it over to the monitor. It looks completely out of scale, and the work area is unusable.

Annotation-2020-01-29-092750

Scenario 2

I open the application on the external monitor. Most of it is normal, less the top bar (and anything clicked within it or popped out).

Annotation-2020-01-29-092845

Scenario 2 (still)

After opening LR on the external monitor, if I bring it over to the laptop screen, it looks like this, everything incredibly zoomed out.

Annotation-2020-01-29-123136

After DPI settings changes

Scaling performed by application

After changing the DPI scaling to application, the images were slightly out of focus (as if it still needed to finish loading). Cursors and small items were TINY on the laptop screen. Most was normal on the monitor.

Annotation-2020-01-30-140802

Scaling performed by the system

After changing to system, it was still not focusing on the monitor, and then on the laptop, the image detached from the workspace, but there was no way to interact with it, along with two ribbons at the bottom.

By system, on monitor

Annotation-2020-01-30-142956

By system, on laptop

Annotation-2020-01-30-141632

Scaling performed by system (enhanced)

Similarly to when performed by system, it appeared to work fine on the monitor, but is misbehaving on the laptop.

Annotation-2020-02-10-174414

Classic

I'm having similar issues with Classic (screenshot on monitor).

Annotation 2020-02-10 175730.png

Detailed system info

Lightroom version: 3.1 [ 20191126-2330-434c343 ] (Nov 27 2019)
NGL Version: 1.11.0.8
Operating system: Windows 10
OS Version: 10.0 [18362]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Computer model: HP HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0xxx / Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 1.9 GHz
Built-in memory: 16121.8 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16121.8 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2492.8 MB (15.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2616.0 MB
Memory cache size: 2122.7 MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.1 [ 351 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1259MB / 8060MB (15%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1260MB / 16121MB (7%)
System DPI setting: 240 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: Yes

Graphics Processor Info: DirectX: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (26.20.100.6813)
Graphics Processor Detail: loaded: Yes, supported: Yes, compute: No, init: I2_GPU2, hard: fail_cached_sanity_test, soft: not_checked, wl: No, bl: No
OS Media Capability: true

Application Folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC
Settings Folder: C:\Users\jesse\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom CC
Library Folder: C:\Users\jesse\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data

Display 1 (laptop) information

Annotation 2020-02-10 175249.png

Display 2 (monitor) information

Annotation 2020-02-10 175307.png

Adapter properties for display 2

Annotation 2020-02-10 175541.png

Jess
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 9.2 which Adobe released today has some improvements regarding secondary monitor displays.

See other enhancements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have checked and am not sure that will help with how I use it, but I will try.

I did get a call finally from Adobe today and it's known issue, expected to be fixed in the next release (in about 60 days).

Jess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it has been 60 days, did you get a resoultion and if so can you share it?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jessicae96188732 I have the exact same issue and am running the most recent versions of both LR Classic and PS. This forum and others I have searched over the last few days have revealed that this is evidently an issue that has been around for quite some time. Hopefully a solution will come soon. I'm curious if you ever got a resolution to this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Still have the same problem with Lightroom CC Version 4.  Running a 4K SurfaceBook 2 and 2 External 2K Dell Monitors.  Wish we would not have to pay for mediocre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue.  My second screen is considerably larger.  Having to open it on my second screen if I want to edit but even then the menu bar is huge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the solution to this problem here.  The DPI setting needs to be overriden.  Once this is done make sure to restart the application. 

Best of luck,

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, this is the solution that worked for me, too.  New Windows 11 laptop with Dell external monitor. (June 2023)

Following instructions at the link you provided, I found three choices under "override high DPI scaling behavior"; a little trial-and-error quickly found that "System" was what worked for my setup (rather than "System (Enhanced)".

Thanks for the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the well researched post Jess. Second monitor with LR Classic has been buggy for me with Windows 10 and multiple monitors as long as I can remember. The exact symptoms vary but it is always unstable, often unusable. Forget about full screen, I've given up on that. Typically it either disappears completely or more often jumps to a different monitor and absulutely refuses to go where I want it. Last upgrade made it worse. It's frustrating paying a monthly fee to Adobe and getting no support for this longstanding critical issue. For example, (expletive deleted) on Adobe chat once suggested "drag and place it where you want it" 😞 Anyway, hope you find a solution - I will try the suggestions here and see if anything works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a datapoint, as of June 2021 I am having the exact same issues you have described here using a 4K screen on a laptop and a non-4K external monitor. It's very frustrating that this is an issue for what I assume is a very common use case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

The only way I found getting around this with my Surface Book 2 and 2 external monitors is to get the external monitor size and resolution so that Windows does not have to scale anything.  i.e. Currently I have 2x 2K External 27" monitors which can run at 100% scaling.  Then I have one of the external monitors set as my primary so all applications started will run on that monitor with 100% scaling.  The Surface Book is 4K so unless I'm working remotely, I never use the Surface screen to do any editing. 

This way everything seems to work.  As soon as you introduce different scaling factors you are in a world of hurt.  There does not seem to be any standards in terms of scaling requirements from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines