• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC dpi limitations

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanting to vent a problem I know people are aware of in hopes Adobe recognizes this issue and takes steps to remedy. 

The issue of auto assigned DPI setting to all photos that enter into lightroom cc. Particularly, assigning 240dpi to all images without any option otherwise. What?!

Also the fact that if choosing to open file in photoshop from Lightroom cc, the file is auto imported at 240 dpi. And before anyone suggests 240 dpi is enough, unfortunately its not enough for me and my workflow. I would love to make large, high quality prints from  lr cc files but until they fix this guess I wont be.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to pour some water on your "venting."

The "quality" of your images will depend entirely on the number of pixels in your files.

Just on Monday I demonstrated to my friends that an image when projected on a 6ft screen looked exactly the same at 1ppi as it did at 2000ppi.

In the 'Digital' environment PPI (to be more correct than DPI) is irrelevant, and only 'comes into play' when considering the print size.

Here are my two files- Can you tell me which is 1ppi which is 2000ppi?

The Castle@1ppi.jpgThe Castle@2000ppi.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just adding a bit more cold water.....as @Rob_Cullen said, the only time the PPI setting is relevant is when the export dimensions are set using either inches or centimetres. When choosing either of those options, and then setting the specific value that's required, the "Resolution" box appears where you can indeed then set whatever PPI value you require. Lightroom will then use the Dimensions value and the Resolution value to determine exactly how many pixels are needed to be produced in order to allow the correct size print to be printed at the required PPI value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! Ill be looking into it more and nope cant tell which one is which from your examples. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your response! Ill be looking into it more and nope cant tell which one is which from your examples. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines