• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC sync destroys home internet connection

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently switched from Lightroom Classic to the new CC, and made the unpleasant discovery that when Lightroom on my Mac is syncing photos, it basically takes down my home internet connection. Not only can't I load websites (or anything else) anymore, but everyone else in my house is subjected to a loss of connectivity. Obviously this isn't tenable in the long term—I can't go asking everyone, "Hey, do you mind if I take away your internet for an hour while I import some photos?" al the time.

I've seen some related threads whose answers seem to range from, "Yeah, that sounds like a thing that might happen," to, "Change your router or cable modem settings." But no clear action I can take. What's my best path forward? This seems like it should have a simple solution: Somehow every other bandwidth-hogging activity I engage in manages to function without completely destroying connectivity.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Thanks for all of the above ideas. Here's what I had to do:

1) Read up on QoS: what the heck is that?

2)Find out if my router had it (it does);

3) Speed tested my internet. 6mbs upload.

4) Set an upload limit on the QoS page of my router utility to 5mps, just under the max.

5) The system has been working ever since.

Thanks againk,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same issue for a long time, which was only resolved when I changed my router. LRCC seems quite aggressive in its use of the available bandwidth, and my broadband connection kept being dropped by the router. It would automatically reconnect of course, but constant interruptions didn't go down too well in the household, especially with my online gaming son!

Logically, there's no way that an app could cause that problem (I don't think), but it only happened when I was uploading via LRCC, and it only stopped when I changed my router. Conclusion was some defect or setting in the router wasn't playing well when operating at full upload capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change the router, or the cable modem? I've got an Apple AirPort Extreme, which I would think is a pretty capable router. The cable modem is a Motorola SB6141, which I know less about.

And I agree, it seems like an app shouldn't be able to do this, but the problem is very definitely Lightroom CC (and Classic didn't have this problem). With it running, the connection is practically nonexistent. The minute I quit LR, everything's fine. The only other app I've seen with this issue is Backblaze, but it has a throttle setting that you can use to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr CC (or Lr Classic or Lr Web or Lr Mobile) do not cause my home network to slow down.

Assuming we both have ver 1.1 of Lr CC, we both have the same software installed.

If it works here, and on 100000s of other computers/networks but not on yours the cause of your problem is NOT the software.

Do you REALLY expect Adobe to be able to produce a product that will work with every, conceivable, possible combination of hardware, other conflicting software, settings etc. on every computer on the planet.  REALLY?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davefeldman  wrote

Did you change the router, or the cable modem? I've got an Apple AirPort Extreme, which I would think is a pretty capable router. The cable modem is a Motorola SB6141, which I know less about.

And I agree, it seems like an app shouldn't be able to do this, but the problem is very definitely Lightroom CC (and Classic didn't have this problem). With it running, the connection is practically nonexistent. The minute I quit LR, everything's fine. The only other app I've seen with this issue is Backblaze, but it has a throttle setting that you can use to solve it.

I was using a combined modem router, and I replaced it with a slightly older model.....and that one has worked fine ever since.

Not sure what else to tell you.....I wrestled with this issue for quite a while. It only happened when uploading (original files) to the cloud, and for a while I started uploading via the LR Web app instead. That seemed to be a little better, but would still get the occasional dropout, so in the end (as a test) I got the older router out of the loft, blew the dust off it and connected it up and I've not had a failure since. Like you I have an cloud backup system permanently active (Crashplan in my case), plus Dropbox, but only LRCC would bring the network down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if some of these apps (CrashPlan, Dropbox) do their own throttling to avoid this situation. (I did have a similar problem with Backblaze but was able to avoid it by turning on their manual throttling feature). And it's possible this is happening with other apps, too, and I just haven't noticed it because it's so rare I'm doing a lengthy, sustained upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davefeldman  wrote

I had the same setup a while ago. With a typical asymmetric cable internet provider (120 down and 6 Mbps up) and an Extreme with a SB6141. The SB6141 only has 8 download and 4 upload channels. It is very easy to overload it by saturating your upload bandwidth. Other models with only 2 or 4 download channels do this even quicker. I had these sort of problems during uploads all the time (long before CC) until I switched to a SB6183 which is 16 download and 4 up. Completely solved that issue. Alternatively the solution is to use a router with QoS. The Airport is a very good router but it doesn't do QoS. QoS keeps any one device from overloading the connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jao. I'd love to understand how the channels work in more detail—in particular, why does overloading the upload channels (i.e., syncing LR after an import) have such a dramatic effect on the download speeds if there are separate channels for each?

Beyond that, I'm also curious whether it makes more sense to get a new modem with more channels, or a new router with QoS. I lean toward the former because it's cheaper and actually seems to be ​solving​ the problem (rather than avoiding it via QoS) but wonder what others think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe really needs to add this. It's the nature of many async broadband connections that download speed suffers if upload is saturated. Every other cloud backup/storage solution I've used has the ability to throttle upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. here. If Lightroom CC is syncing, then that takes up all of my bandwidth. I can't use the internet at all until it is done. Thankfully I can pause it and then start it at bed time. Even so, they really need a feature where I can manually limit the upload speed of Lightroom so that it doesn't take over everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Adobe Lightroom CC completely saturates my internet connections and then eventually my eero wireless router crashes with a red blinking light and I have to restart it. None of my other applications, devices, cloud based services behave this way. The product is unusable in this state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just had my screen shared with Adobe lightroom CC representative as my internet speeds were becoming choked from 110mb/s download to 5-6mb/s. They insist the issue is with our wifi and no the lightroom server which is frustrating. He did say that I shouldn't be trying to sync so many images at once apparently and that their servers never slow down speeds.

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 11.12.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all of the above ideas. Here's what I had to do:

1) Read up on QoS: what the heck is that?

2)Find out if my router had it (it does);

3) Speed tested my internet. 6mbs upload.

4) Set an upload limit on the QoS page of my router utility to 5mps, just under the max.

5) The system has been working ever since.

Thanks againk,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, this has been happening for 5 years?? And Adobe hasn't figured it out???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to a very old thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same issue which you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information including system information, a complete description of the problem and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

In the unlikely event the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines