Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic to Lightroom - not keeping LrC modifications

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all-

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I'm just not doing it correctly. I use Lightroom Classic to import photos from a Leica Q2. I shoot in DNG+JPEG but I don't show both. In LrC I modify the image (for example, crop, convert to B&W, etc), and I get a nice pic.

Lately I've started trying to integrate Lightroom so I can work with the files on mobile/ipad/web, etc. In LrC I created a sync collection and put my pics in there, and they do indeed sync with Lightroom, and looking at the photos in the Library view, it has all my LrC modifications. What I wasn't expecting is that, similar to LrC, if I "touch" the image, like viewing it in fullscreen, or going to Develop, it reverts back to the original DNG version, no crops, no edits, nothing. What's stressful is that because the LrC is synced, my edits in LrC are also wiped out. 

Is there a way for Lightroom to preserve the LrC edits, or is it more a case of choose-one-or-the-other-but-not-both to edit the images? I like a lot of LrC's features and that has been my go-to, but I also want to be able to edit the images anywhere using LR, can they co-exist without redoing all my work?

Thanks for any info!

Ron

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Welcome to the Lightroom Community. You've shared good details, and I'll need some specific information.

What version of Lightroom Classic, Lightroom Mobile & the operating system are you working on? Does this happen with a particular collection of images?

This is unexpected & the Lightroom ecosystem is not designed like 'choose-one-or-the-other-but-not-both.'

Apply a flag or rating to some of the images syncing in Lightroom classic & let Lightroom sit idle for 30-40 minutes to finish syncin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the Lightroom Community. You've shared good details, and I'll need some specific information.

What version of Lightroom Classic, Lightroom Mobile & the operating system are you working on? Does this happen with a particular collection of images?

This is unexpected & the Lightroom ecosystem is not designed like 'choose-one-or-the-other-but-not-both.'

Apply a flag or rating to some of the images syncing in Lightroom classic & let Lightroom sit idle for 30-40 minutes to finish syncing. Log on to Lightroom Web (https://lightroom.adobe.com) & check the current status of the images.

What you see on the Lightroom web should be what you have on all other Lightroom surfaces. If there are 'Sync Issues' on Lightroom web,  sync might not function as expected.

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sameer-

Okay, I think I understand how it works. I did a shoot with the camera and captured the DNG+JPEG files. I imported those into LrC as normal. I then immediately created, in LrC, a new collection, set it to sync with LR, then copied the files into it. In LR, all the DNGs were in color, not B&W as shown in LrC. I believe this is because LrC is showing the images as DNG+JPEG (using the JPEG as the image in Library mode), but because it was the DNG files sent to LR, and because DNG is the raw image, everything is in color, no camera presets applied, etc. 

So in LR, I made some edits and sure enough, they sync back to LrC. 

So I guess what it comes down to is that LrC will show the library as "normal" (i.e. with the JPEG), because it has both the DNG+JPEG files, while LR only has the DNGs. And since I had made some adjustments in LrC in my previous photos, those adjustments were copied to LR, but any images that I had not touched were synced as their original DNG.

Sorry if this sounds convoluted, just trying to understand how the workflow should be done so I can work in both LrC as well as LR on the iPad, phone, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My suggestion- Shoot only raw!  Then you won't have the problems!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines