• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Cloud and Lightroom Classic

Participant ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to incorporate light room (mobile) into my photography workflow.  Here is my current setup:  My normal editing is via LRC on my MacBook with my images being stored on a NAS at home.

For my purposes I THINK I want to bring my images in to the system with a card reader via my iPad pro so I have full resolution in the cloud (I'm not sure smart previews will suit my editing taste yet).  In doing that I have a folder set up on my MacBook and in my LRC catalog called LR Cloud Imports, LRC also created a collection called "From LR".

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of these assumptions:

The folder on my MacBook called LR Cloud Imports is "not a sync" it is a one way import.  Meaning that it will not sync any changes back up to the cloud, and along those same lines I should be editing the images using the "From LR" collection.....correct

I don't want to store images permanently in the adobe cloud, I just want to use it to keep the images I am currently processing synced.  So with that in mind, what will happen if I rename and move the images out of the LR Cloud Imports folder on my MacBook into another folder on my MacBook (not to the NAS).  I think they will still stay in the From LR collection even if I relocate the images, correct?  Also in doing the renaming/moving what will happen to the full-size preview in the cloud, will it still be there even if I have renamed and moved file (I assume it would as long as the image was still in the From LR collection).

Additionally, what happens if I move that same image from the "From LR" collection and place it in another collection that is also synced to the cloud.  Will the full-size preview still be available?

This is my thought process:

Import to ipad so I will have full size previews, then on MacBook with LRC they will show up in the "LR Cloud Imports" folder and the "From LR" collection.  Keep them there until I am ready to work on them (keyword, rename, edit etc).  When I am ready to work on them, move them to a folder in LRC called "Current Edits" and into a synced collection called "Current Edits".  Hopefully retaining full image previews so I can keep edits synced until I am completely finished with the image.

Once the image is complete then I would move the file out of the Current Edits folder into its permanent home folder and remove it from a synced collection.

I certainly hope that makes sense, this is tough trying to wrap my head around all of this.

tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think it will work that way.

Also, keywords and not all develop settings sync.

You can effectively use Cloudy as an ingestion system, and also for some edits.

However for this to work, you need to sync all the images from LrC to the cloud.

This will load the hash value for the image and the smart preview for each image into the cloud.

You can then import all images from your external device into Cloudy. It will then replace the smart preview with the original.

Any new images, add to Cloudy, the original will then sync down into LrC via the sync.

Make sure you have enough space on the desktop, and in Cloudy. I was on the 1 TB Photography plan so I had enough space to do this, with only 500GB of keeper images.

Theoretically, there is a way to remove some photos from the sync and keep them only on LrC or only in Cloudy; however I did not need to do so, so i do not know the steps.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we need to clarify exactly what you are doing/have done before we can answer all your questions; You said:

For my purposes I THINK I want to bring my images in to the system with a card reader via my iPad pro so I have full resolution in the cloud (I'm not sure smart previews will suit my editing taste yet).  In doing that I have a folder set up on my MacBook and in my LRC catalog called LR Cloud Imports, LRC also created a collection called "From LR".

Can you tell us where the folder "LR Cloud Imnports" fits into the picture? Have you by chance set that folder as the storage location for all Lightroom Synced images on the LrC Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab? If so, then any images that you import into any of the Lightroom apps (desktop, mobile, web, but not LrC) will be stored in that one folder. If that is what you intended, that's fine.

The "From LR" collection....is that actually a "From Lightroom" collection SET which is automatically created by LrC when syncing is enabled, or is it really a "From LR" collection which you would have manually created? The "From Lightroom" collection set is simply a convenient place for LrC to store any synced collections that are originally created as albums in any of the Lightroom apps. If you never create albums in Lightroom, instead you create collections in LrC which you then sync, those collections would not automatically appear in the "From Lightroom" collection set (although you can manually place them there).

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of these assumptions:

The folder on my MacBook called LR Cloud Imports is "not a sync" it is a one way import.  Meaning that it will not sync any changes back up to the cloud, and along those same lines I should be editing the images using the "From LR" collection.....correct

This is an incorrect assumption. If an image is currently synced, it matters not at all if you edit it from a folder or a collection, the edits will still sync. Extending that thought further, a synced image does NOT have to be in a synced collection....all synced images will always appear in the "All Synced Photographs" special collection, but they do not also have to be in a synced collection. So if an image is synced, you can edit it and the edits will sync, no mattter what source you have selected (folder or collection or filter, if the image is synced, the edits will sync).

I don't want to store images permanently in the adobe cloud, I just want to use it to keep the images I am currently processing synced.  So with that in mind, what will happen if I rename and move the images out of the LR Cloud Imports folder on my MacBook into another folder on my MacBook (not to the NAS).  I think they will still stay in the From LR collection even if I relocate the images, correct?  Also in doing the renaming/moving what will happen to the full-size preview in the cloud, will it still be there even if I have renamed and moved file (I assume it would as long as the image was still in the From LR collection).

Additionally, what happens if I move that same image from the "From LR" collection and place it in another collection that is also synced to the cloud.  Will the full-size preview still be available?

Moving a synced image from one folder to another does not change the sync status of the image. Renaming a file in LrC does not change the sync status (and the rename will also sync to the cloud). Removing a synced image from a synced collection does not automatically change the sync status (though you would get a message asking you what to do), and unsyncing a synced collection does not change the sync status of any of the images in that collection.

Hopefully you've got the message here....you can rename or move synced images around inside LrC with no impact on their sysnc status. The one thing to be aware of is that effectively the status of the synced images in LrC is managed through that All Synced Photographs special collection. The rule is simple....all synced images must always be listed in the ASP, and thus by logic if you remove an image from the ASP then that will unsync that image. The follow-on from that is that if you unsync an image, it can no longer exist in the cloud and is therefore deleted from the cloud.

This is my thought process:

Import to ipad so I will have full size previews, then on MacBook with LRC they will show up in the "LR Cloud Imports" folder and the "From LR" collection.  Keep them there until I am ready to work on them (keyword, rename, edit etc).  When I am ready to work on them, move them to a folder in LRC called "Current Edits" and into a synced collection called "Current Edits".  Hopefully retaining full image previews so I can keep edits synced until I am completely finished with the image.

Once the image is complete then I would move the file out of the Current Edits folder into its permanent home folder and remove it from a synced collection.

As mentioned earlier, yes the synced images will show up in whatever folder is specified in the Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab. They will show up in a synced collection in LrC ONLY if you've added them to an album in Lightroom first. Otherwise you'll have to locate then in LrC either via the folder that they are in, or via the All Synced Photographs. As mentioned, the images can be moved around within LrC however you wish, but also as mentioned if you want to remove them from the cloud you'll need to do that by removing them from the ASP....just unsyncing a synced collection does not remove images from the cloud.

You'll also need to be aware of the things that do NOT sync between Classic and the cloud. Most notable is keywords and location data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for the responses.

Jim I am still sifting through your very detailed response and digesting it.

But to answer:

"Can you tell us where the folder "LR Cloud Imnports" fits into the picture? Have you by chance set that folder as the storage location for all Lightroom Synced images on the LrC Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab?"

yes, that is what is set for LRC preferences.

I may have more questions but likely your response will answer most all of them, I am copying it into a word document so I can view it better.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to:

The "From LR" collection....is that actually a "From Lightroom" collection SET which is automatically created by LrC when syncing is enabled?

Yes, I believe LRC created that when I turned on sync, however I renamed it to something that made more sense to me and currently call it LR Cloud 2way Sync.

"If an image is currently synced, it matters not at all if you edit it from a folder or a collection, the edits will still sync. Extending that thought further, a synced image does NOT have to be in a synced collection....all synced images will always appear in the "All Synced Photographs" special collection, but they do not also have to be in a synced collection. So if an image is synced, you can edit it and the edits will sync, no mattter what source you have selected (folder or collection or filter, if the image is synced, the edits will sync)."

Okay I think one thing that may be confusing me is the "All synched photographs" that is in the "Catalog" tab in LRC's left menu.  You call it a "All Synced Photographs special collection" but I see it sitting in the Catalog window.

It currently shows 174 images, while my folder that I have designated in LRCs preferences only shows 169 images.  So I have 5 images I can't account for as to their exact physical location.

Obviously the LRC collections are just pointers to the files physically stored somewhere else, is the "All synched photographs" work the same way?  And looking at the numbers above would I then have 5 images that obviously are synching but not located in my folder I designated in LRCs preferences for synching.

"Removing a synced image from a synced collection does not automatically change the sync status (though you would get a message asking you what to do), and unsyncing a synced collection does not change the sync status of any of the images in that collection."

Wow I did not realize this!  So how do I find those 5 images, and how do I unsync them?  Or even a better question since I am dealing with LRC, what specifically determines if an image will sync. How do I turn it on/off for a specific image.

In my research in setting this up I mis-interpreted that for LRC to send an image to the cloud it had to be added to a synched collection and removing it from that collection would un-sync it.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I think one thing that may be confusing me is the "All synched photographs" that is in the "Catalog" tab in LRC's left menu.  You call it a "All Synced Photographs special collection" but I see it sitting in the Catalog window.

It currently shows 174 images, while my folder that I have designated in LRCs preferences only shows 169 images.  So I have 5 images I can't account for as to their exact physical location.

Obviously the LRC collections are just pointers to the files physically stored somewhere else, is the "All synched photographs" work the same way?  And looking at the numbers above would I then have 5 images that obviously are synching but not located in my folder I designated in LRCs preferences for synching.

All the items that you see in the Catalog Panel are "special collections", i.e. they are collections that are created by LrC itself, not by the user. So All Photographs, Previous Import, Quick Collection, Previous Export as Catalog, Missing Photographs, etc. can all be seen in that panel whenever they are created by LrC as needed (some are always there of course).

In terms of the difference between the numbers in the ASP collection and the numbers in your designated downloads folder, remember that the downloads folder only contains images that have been added to the cloud from one of the Lightroom apps and downloaded into LrC. It does NOT contain images that you may have synced TO the cloud from LrC, but of course the latter are also included in the ASP.

Wow I did not realize this!  So how do I find those 5 images, and how do I unsync them?  Or even a better question since I am dealing with LRC, what specifically determines if an image will sync. How do I turn it on/off for a specific image.

In my research in setting this up I mis-interpreted that for LRC to send an image to the cloud it had to be added to a synched collection and removing it from that collection would un-sync it.

Finding the 5 images is possible, but a little klunky. Start with clearing the Quick Collection (in the Catalog Panel!), then select your sync downloads folder and do Cmd+A to select them all. Then, leaving all those selected, click on the All Synced Photographs collection. At that point all the images are still selected apart from the 5 that aren't in the downloads folder. You can manually scroll through the grid to find them, but it's easier to go to the Edit menu and select "Invert Selection". That changes the selection so that the 5 previously unselected images are now the only selected ones. At that point press the "B" key on the keyboard and those 5 images are added to the Quick Collection, so you can now deal with them from there. It's likely that they are images that you have synced from LrC to the cloud at some point.

Managing the syncing on/off process is best done from the ASP....if you remove a synced image from the ASP it will be unsynced (and if it was in a synced collection it will be removed from that collection also). Adding an image to be synced can either be done by adding it to the ASP or by adding it to a synced collection.

Regarding your final point, it was initially the case that images could indeed only be synced from LrC by adding them to a synced collection, but later the ASP was introduced which now allows images to be synced without having to be in a synced collection (and also means removing an images from a synced collection doesn't "unsync" that image unless it's also removed from the ASP).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off Jim, you are amazing in your ability to explain LR, it took me a bit to follow but Thank You!

As I was learning I obviously missed the changes LR had made it obviously makes more sense now.  I have to digest this a bit to see how I want to change my workflow to keep my organization methods as simple as I can and have them make sense to me.

Now I followed your methods:

Start with clearing the Quick Collection (in the Catalog Panel!), then select your sync downloads folder and do Cmd+A to select them all. Then, leaving all those selected, click on the All Synced Photographs collection. At that point all the images are still selected apart from the 5 that aren't in the downloads folder. You can manually scroll through the grid to find them, but it's easier to go to the Edit menu and select "Invert Selection". That changes the selection so that the 5 previously unselected images are now the only selected ones. 

When I would click on the All Synced Photo collection, it was showing more than 5 images difference (light gray vs dark gray).

So I think I had images in LR downloads that were not in All Syncd Photos and vice versa.  Cannot figure out how that happened, but I kept working back and forth and the ones in the downloads folder that were not being synced I dragged to the All Syncd Collection, then i reversed the process.

Now I can click back and forth between "All Synced Photo" and LR Downloads and they match image per image but All Syncd shows 172 images and LR Downloads shows 180.   So in thinking I must have done that wrong when i dragged images from the All Syncd Photo collection into LR Downloads (since i was going from a collection to a file location was that messing it up and actually not moving those 8 files, and let me guess, those 8 files are somewhere else in my folders hence the 8 image discrepancy.

I tried your process above after this and LR shows no differences, both the collection and the folder LOOK identical

tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing which may be influencing this is videos, as these break all the rules. Basically you can import videos to Lightroom and they will sync down into Classic (so would be stored in the downloads folder), BUT after arriving in Classic they are flagged as "unsynced" and so do not get added to the All Synced Photographs collection. They do, however, remain in the cloud and in that sense they break the rule that says if it isn't in ASP it can't be in the cloud. Even worse, although the videos in Classic are shown as "unsynced", should you remove one from Classic's catalog then the version in the cloud is also deleted! 

BTW, that procedure that I outlined for finding the difference between the ASP and the downloads folder only works when the ASP has the higher number. In the case where the downloads folder total is higher than the ASP you need to reverse the procedure....basically select all the images in the ASP, then click on the downloads folder and do the Invert Selection there, and that should end up showing as selected only the 8 images that are not in ASP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the 8 image difference.... I had stacked photos in LR Download that for some reason were not in the All Synched collection.

At this point I just want to clarify a few points to see if I understand:

It does not matter where an image is on my computer, if it is in the all synced photographs it still syncs until I remove it.

The folder I designated in LR preferences for my images downloaded from mobile will add the downloaded mobile images to the "All synced Photo" collection, but that LR download folder does not do any synching itself (in other words if I have an unsynced image and place it in that folder and do not add it to the "all synced photos" collection nothing happens, correct?

Now I just have to figure out the path and workings of the folder in my collections panel works in all of this.  I know my mobile albums show up there.

tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't even think about videos....glad you mentioned it.

I think I need to sit down with a piece of paper and using my own words diagram what happens on the cloud side, then what happens on LRC side of things.  At this point I have too many notes especially since you explained how adobe changed things as you mention in a previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At this point I just want to clarify a few points to see if I understand:

It does not matter where an image is on my computer, if it is in the all synced photographs it still syncs until I remove it.

The folder I designated in LR preferences for my images downloaded from mobile will add the downloaded mobile images to the "All synced Photo" collection, but that LR download folder does not do any synching itself (in other words if I have an unsynced image and place it in that folder and do not add it to the "all synced photos" collection nothing happens, correct?

Yes, correct on both points.

Folders cannot be set to sync in the same way as Collections, so only the images in that folder can be synced by either adding them to a synced collection or manually adding them to All Synced Photographs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines