• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom displays my images in a wider gamut despite my monitor display being set to show only sRGB

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom displays my images in a wider gamut despite my monitor display being set to show only sRGB.

Machine: MacBook Pro 14" (2021)

Using: Lightroom Cloud 2023

Since I mainly post my photos online, I set my monitor's color space to sRGB. This allows me to (or so I thought) visually "override" Lightroom's native ProPhoto RGB color space. (I know these monitor settings don't actually change Lightroom's color space, but the idea is that my monitor is restricting me to seeing only what will be exported in sRGB, leaving no unwanted surprises on export to sRGB). I've been using this workflow for a few weeks now with no (apparent) issues: 

Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 5.35.51 PM.png

Today, this behavior seems to have changed or is at least doing something unexpected: Despite my monitor being set to sRGB, Lightroom is still allowing me to see my photo in the ProPhoto color space or some other color gamut that is clearly wider than sRGB. I didn't think this was possible for one, and for two, I didn't know this for the hour and forty-five minutes I spent editing, so naturally when I exported the final image to sRGB I was pretty upset to see my image change and become much duller. The whole point of setting my monitor to sRGB was to avoid this problem, and I'm pretty sure it's been working since I made the change a few weeks ago.

When I export my photo in ProPhoto RGB, open it in Mac Preview, and set the proofing to ProPhoto RGB, and then change my monitor display to sRGB, the photo changes as expected. So this is only happening in Lightroom and is not a computer-wide problem. 

Can anyone explain what's going on? Why (and how?!) is Lightroom doing this? Thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Deleted

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines