• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom (Lr, 5.2), communication with Photoshop (Ps 23.2.2)

Participant ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions around the communication between Lightroom (Lr, 5.2) and Photoshop (Ps 23.2.2).

#1:

Is there a setting / parameter where I define that Photoshop will save the modified photo as PSD, looks like standard for Lightroom is TIFF?

In Lightroom Classic (LrC) I can select if PSD or TIFF is used, but I don’t see this option in Lightroom (Lr).

#2:

Looks like Photoshop is creating a new files every time I open a photo from Lightroom in Photoshop.

Lightroom will group these photos, but I am afraid that they are still saved somewhere and use storage space.

Is there a way that I can modify a photo multiple times, without getting multiple versions of this photo?

In Lightroom Classic I can modify the same photo multiple times, without getting new versions. As long as I pick the PSD file that is stored in Lightroom Classic.

Here as a grouped photo: 4 = 1xoriginal + 3 modified versions

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-02 um 12.00.38.png

Here the 4 ungrouped photos, on the left is the last version and on the right the original

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-02 um 12.00.56.png

Potential workaround: After I am done with the photo I ungroup, delete the not needed versions and group original and final version.

#3:

As soon as I save the modified photo back to Lightroom the filename will be modified, Photoshop or Lightroom will add „-Edit“ to the name.

If I edit the same photo 3-times the name will be original filename + „-Edit-Edit-Edit“ 😞

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-02 um 11.44.15.png

Is there a way to change the setting for this name-addition? If really needed I would pick „Edit-1 … Edit-7“ or something similar.

In Lightroom Classic there is a menu point to define this naming convention.

I am not trying to make Lightroom look bad, I am just trying to understand if Lightroom is a potential option for some projects.

Most of my work will be done in Lightroom Classic, currently I am not sure if Lightroom has a place in my workflow.

But I can see some benefits if I can check photos on my iPad, while I travel. But therefor I will need good link between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic and similar workflows.

Ralf 

I use MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 500GB SSD) with macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Lightroom Classic (LrC 11.2) / Photoshop (Ps 23.2.2) / Lightroom (Lr 5.2) with Creative Cloud 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm afraid the short answer to all three questions is "No". It would seem that, initially at least, Adobe have deliberately taken a more simplified approach to the Lightroom to Photoshop workflow compared with the options available in LrClassic.

I know that the issue of not being able to send the same files back and forth between Lightroom and PS has been raised very recently in this forum, so there is probably a feature request covering these issues in the "Ideas" part of this forum. It would be a good idea to add your "up-vote" to the request(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines